Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Do You Ever Get Angry You Didn't Get Your Happily Ever After?

Rhonda R

• Members
typesettergirl

I don't feel "angry" necessarily but I do understand where you are coming from. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

It used to be hard to see other couples, I'm pretty well used to it by now.  I think anger is a common grief feeling particularly in the earlier years.  Now I try to be happy for others that they get what we were gypped out of (or so it feels).
Anger & Jealousy in Grief
Anger at God
Anger One of the Stages of Grief?
Apologizing for Expressing the Anger of Grief

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, MissAlex said:

It's starting to get better though. I started writing letters to my husband

It helps.  I have a "Letters to George" file in my word documents.  Originally I journaled in a spiral notebook but eventually destroyed as I didn't want anyone else reading it if I died (It's been 17 years next month).  Now I just talk out loud to him.  We have to have a way to connect with them!

Continuing beyond physical death
Continuing Bonds - rituals
Continuing Relationships

• Like 3

• Members

@KayCI'm the opposite. I have a little pink journal and I don't mind if my sons read it when I'm gone.. I think they will get to see how much i loved this man.....smh

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

My kids know, it was the only time in my life I had reciprocal love, and he was a wonderful stepfather to them, they love and appreciate his time in our lives.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I'll probably let my daughter read them when she gets older, though I may still have to edit it for some content lol. But then again, it might help her to understand the complexities of our relationship.

• Like 3

• Moderators
  • Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I don't know how old your daughter is 

She's 8, too young for frank discussions about our sex life or the graphic details of his drug use and abuse. She sees a therapist and I'm considering putting her in a grief therapy group for kids in her age range so she can talk to her peers who have gone through similar things. She's kind of resistant to me idea: she's an old soul who sometimes gets frustrated with kids her own age because she's a very mature for her age and has a difficult time trying to find common ground. It's my fault: she was glued to my hip at the beginning of the pandemic when my mother (to whom she was extremely devoted) passed away, and because I was grieving I didn't dissuade her. My kid and I formed a little community of two and it's been a challenge for both of us to come out of this hard shell we made around us to keep us safe. Thank you for the book recommendations: she's an avid reader, reads far above her grade level (exactly like I was at her age, she truly is my Mini Me) so anything to read is always welcome.

• Like 3

• Members

When I say I’m angry, I’m not angry at the people who get their forever, I’m jealous. The main emotion behind anger is often sadness, and that’s what I am, jealous and sad. I try very hard to appreciate the good things that happen to me as well as the good times, but even that has a bit of sadness because he’s not here with me. I retire in 11 months and if he were still here with me, that would look completely different than it does now. I dread the day my girls marry as that will be a painful day without him, even though he is their stepdad and not their biological dad, who is still in their lives. When he found out he was sick, he put aside money for their wedding dresses because he wanted them to know the day was important to him. I was important to him. I’m a very strong and independent person, but I never knew lonely until him. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
43 minutes ago, Rhonda R said:

When I say I’m angry, I’m not angry at the people who get their forever, I’m jealous. 

Rhonda R., I totally understand that. For me, the anger and jealousy just seem to feed one another in an endless loop that's just so hard to break. I thought that eventually I would become numb, and sometimes I do, but if anything my feelings have sharp, jagged edges that deflate me at every opportunity.

Congratulations on your impending retirement! That has to feel good, even though your loved one isn't there to share it with you. I find that those milestones are extremely bittersweet: you're supposed to be happy, and in part you are, but without that one person with whom you shared so much of yourself, it always feels like part of it is missing, like finishing a large and difficult puzzle only to have a piece missing which makes the finished product just... off.

My husband and I called each other our "puzzle piece," because we fit so well together. That makes it hard now to shape my life around that missing gap, but I'd like to think that he is there cheering me on from the sidelines, wanting me to have a good life.

• Like 2

• Moderators
23 hours ago, MissAlex said:

She sees a therapist and I'm considering putting her in a grief therapy group for kids in her age range so she can talk to her peers who have gone through similar things.

I'm so glad you're doing this!  And she may be balking but that's where you, the mom, come in...you know best and she IS 8, she may be mature but not an adult yet!  Sometimes we have to do what's best for them.

I suggest going on Amazon and seeing if they tell a bit about it first, and seeing the age it's for and then looking around for it for often it can be bought cheaper elsewhere unless you have prime/free shipping.

23 hours ago, Rhonda R said:

When I say I’m angry, I’m not angry at the people who get their forever, I’m jealous. The main emotion behind anger is often sadness, and that’s what I am, jealous and sad.

I've always heard that hurt is behind anger.  When I went looking I found a lot of things can be a root cause, insecurity, hurt, pain, humiliation, loss of control, stress...the list goes on and on!

https://www.powerofpositivity.com/causes-of-anger-and-how-to-deal-with-it/

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Rhonda R said:

I retire in 11 months

Yes it's totally a different ballgame without them, this was not my plan either!  But it IS nice to be away from the demands of work and in my case, commuting..  It helps to have a routine and purpose after working your whole life, perhaps something volunteer that's near and dear to your heart.  CONGRATULATIONS will be in order when it comes!  Not one person congratulated me the way it happened (I lost my job and had already looked for another for a whole year, age discrimination & recession, I knew it was time to throw in the towel).

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 5/6/2022 at 10:52 AM, Rhonda R said:

When he found out he was sick, he put aside money for their wedding dresses because he wanted them to know the day was important to him. I was important to him.

Wow! What a loving gesture on his part. I am so sorry for your loss and the sorrow you have. It pains me to see couples who fight and treat each other badly. Especially when they have kids and so much else in life. They really don't appreciate how quickly it can be lost. My husband and I not only respected each other but we also knew to enjoy life. Sounds like you and your husband knew too. 

• Like 2