Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grief is hard

Tash28

• Members

Not really sure what to even say to start, but I lost my dad very unexpectedly last year, and I didn't get the chance to say goodbye to him probably as it was so sudden. I've had my first father's day, Christmas and new year without him, I've been married, moved house and I feel guilty at times because I get lost in the good things, then the grief hits me and it can absolutely floor me for days and I can barely summon the energy to do everyday things like get dressed, self care etc, it sucks. It's due to be his birthday this weekend and I just feel so consumed by grief right now I feel like I'm drowning. I just don't know what to do with myself, I've noticed I'm drinking more than usual cause it takes the edge off but that's not me at all and I just feel so ashamed in myself. Really hoping this feeling won't last forever, just feeling a bit lost 

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Tash,

Please know what you are feeling is normal and natural. Many people told me that grief is like a wave. There are days there are big waves that knock us down and with more time the waves will be less intense. It's very hard because it doesn't seem possible we are here on Earth without our dads. For myself, I felt very raw the first two years after my dad's passing. 

We are here with you. And know that you there is many different supports. Maybe consider grief counselling, joining a support group. I also found supports at these websites.

What's Your Grief

Grief in Common

Grief Share

Grief Healing Blog

Thinking of you.