Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Afraid of getting close to anyone

Broken Blackbird

• Members
Broken Blackbird

My father was my best friend. We got each other. When he died, my world shattered into pieces. I never had many friends. I stuck close to the few friends. But I've moved away, and I am lonely. I want to get close to others. But I have this fear that the friendship will end quickly, so as a protection to not get too attached to someone I keep my distance. But I'm unhappy. But I don't know how to get close to people without this intense dread that they'll suddenly disappear. I understand that I have some PSTD for having to accept my father was going to die in only 24 hours. 

• Hugs 2

• Members

Dear Broken Blackbird,

What you are feeling makes total sense. It's really hard. I hope with more time you'll give your chance to reach out to people. 

Please know we are with you.

• Members

Hello. 

sorry to hear of your pain and loss.

I always think of the advice my mother would of given me. Would they want us to be holding back on life when it is so precious. Only when your ready will you feel ready to make such friendships. Don’t be to hard on yourself for this. It’s a process. And it will come in time,