Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dating and Remarriage

GoldenRose

• Members

Hello everyone! Hope everyone is having as good a day as they can. 
Im wondering if anyone has any experience in dating after losing a spouse or partner. What are pros and cons you noticed? Has anyone on this site remarried or even considered it? 
I will be honest- I am nowhere near ready for this. I lost my amazing husband one month ago. But I simply cannot accept that I will be alone for the rest of my life, that is such a painful fact for me. I had so many wonderful plans with my husband, he was the person I wanted to do everything with. Now that’s he’s gone however, I find that while I don’t have any motivation for those plans at the moment, I’d like to think someday I still will. And dinner in a nice restaurant is much more enjoyable with a partner. I’d rather fly across the world with someone to take selfies with. Laughing hysterically at something very dumb is better with someone you love also laughing. 
Does anyone have similar thoughts? I am 25 years old, so know maybe I’m just young and naive, but even though I would give anything to have my husband back, I know it doesn’t work that way. So is it bad to hope one day I have another husband? Thanks in advance everyone!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I would think at 25 years-old it is very realistic to think you would want another relationship. You will need time to grieve what you have lost but you'll know when the time is right. I am in my sixties and lost my husband a month ago. I am not thinking of another relationship and doubt I would actively look for another. You are a much younger woman, you have your whole life ahead of you. You may even want to have a family one day. Who knows what your future holds. Your husband would want you to live your best life whatever form that takes. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words to take away that pain. I just recently lost my love as well. Although not married yet, we were planning on it soon. I am 34 and he had just turned 40, so marriage and kids were in our near future. We had only been together five months, but he was my person. He had actually just asked my parents, and my two sisters, two days before his passing if he could ask me to marry him. We were heading on vacation the following weekend, and he had planned to propose. We weren’t together long, but we instantly connected and fell in love. I’ve been thinking a lot about how I lost not only him but the future we had planned as well. Being 34, I know I want kids, but  it feels like I have a timeline to grieve and be able to achieve the dream of having a family as well. I feel so sad and not sure how to move on. I don’t think move on is the right words. I can’t fathom finding anyone who makes me so happy and brings out the best in me like he could. It feels lonely. I think I’m rambling at this point, but I want you to know I understand you. 

• Like 2

• Members

GoldenRose, you still have so much life to live that the probability of you finding love again is high.  Many people don't even find their first true love at your age.  But please don't rush it for the wrong reasons.  I've met people who found love again at all different ages from either having a divorce or loss.  Don't think that finding love again replaces that other person or that you have to forget them.  That people will be in your heart and a part of you forever.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, KG21 said:

it feels like I have a timeline to grieve and be able to achieve the dream of having a family as well.

Yes.  My daughter has been married since 2009, a few years ago she was so happy to announce her pregnancy at Christmas...the next month it was gone, for the second time.  Her husband left her.  They filed for divorce over two years ago and the courts have yet to process it, seems no one does anything anymore because of Covid.   So she's stuck in limbo, always wanted to be a mom, she says she'll take a child however it comes, whether she ever meets anyone and realizes her dream, or gets stepchildren.  I want that for her so much.  You are definitely still young enough to have kids and I like that you're giving yourself the time to grieve beforehand.  My daughter is 39 so not likely to realize her dreams, but who knows.

11 hours ago, Jen H said:

GoldenRose, you still have so much life to live that the probability of you finding love again is high.  Many people don't even find their first true love at your age.  But please don't rush it for the wrong reasons.  I've met people who found love again at all different ages from either having a divorce or loss.  Don't think that finding love again replaces that other person or that you have to forget them.  That people will be in your heart and a part of you forever.  

Great advice!

• Members

I also wanted to add that when you do get into a relationship, if that person can't accept that your past love will always be in your heart then they're not worth having a relationship with. 

• Like 3

• Members

I too have been thinking about my future.  I don't see myself as single as a Pringle (as my daughter and her friends would say) for the rest of my life.  I knew when I got divorced before I met 

I am really missing  the companionship lately. I just need to find friendship right now.  That can come in a gal pal or a guy (gal pay is saver :P)

• Like 1

• Members

Thanks everyone for all your answers, I know I need time. My husband was very amazing and I find it difficult to think I’ll ever meet someone who I can view as great as him. I just don’t think I could bear to be alone forever, the loneliness has never felt so heavy.
I also feel I am less likely to find someone now that I’m a widow. I feel it comes with “baggage” and some men might not want to deal with it. Anyone have thoughts on that?

• Like 1

• Members

The only problem I feel other men might have with you being a widow is how high up on a pedestal you put your husband and if they feel threatened by him.  When you do start dating again I’m sure you will look at the relationship a little differently.  You will want to know the character of this man, whether he has the depth of love and compassion to try and understand what you have gone through and be patient.  The right man for you will do this and please don’t accept anything less.  You are so young!  Your whole life is ahead of you!  Take the time to properly grieve for your husband but know that you will be okay.  It will take some time but eventually you will find happiness again, I promise.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Jen H said:

I also wanted to add that when you do get into a relationship, if that person can't accept that your past love will always be in your heart then they're not worth having a relationship with. 

Amen to that!

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 hours ago, William M said:

I spent over 36 year with my darling and feel I need to be buried with her one day.  Already ordered a "companion" headstone for us both...

There are women who feel the same and want buried with their first husband...it doesn't have to mean marriage/companionship is off the table for you both, when we get older, these things need talked about and arrangements need to be made to suit the two of you, not always the traditional way we once thought of.  Be innovative and open if/when the time comes.  For instance, it might be easier to keep finances separate and mutual bills agreed upon, makes it easier to leave things to children, etc.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, SSC said:

The only problem I feel other men might have with you being a widow is how high up on a pedestal you put your husband and if they feel threatened by him

I don't think I have my husband up on a pedestal...I see him for who he is, admire his wonderful qualities, forgive the mistakes, we understood each other!  But we did have an amazing relationship and I agree, that'd be a tough act to follow.  I cannot expect anyone to be like him.  If any of us ever goes into a new relationship, it'll be important to not expect the same from them as they will bring new things to the table...a new adventure.  Give good long thought to deal-breakers, what's important to you, what you can be flexible on.  For instance, to me, values, beliefs, mutual respect, must love dogs!  Great sense of humor.  Emotional connection/supportiveness.  THOSE would be the qualities I'd look for!  For someone else your list might be totally different.  But don't compromise on the important things and "settle" for lesser than. ;)

• Like 2

• Members

Does anyone have any thoughts on falling out of love with your deceased partner? Not only did I love my husband very much, but I was also completely in love with him when he died. I feel I am still there, and that’s fine for as long as I feel it, but will I at some point be able to move into a “not currently in love” state with him? I’ll have love for him always, but the pain of being actively in love with someone who is completely gone adds a layer to the never ending pain of grief!

• Like 1

• Members

Since our spouses died at the same time I'm probably not one to answer this question Golden, but I would think as time goes on the loving feelings will be different. You will always love your husband but there will be room to move forward with your life. Don't forget, you husband would want this for you too. I am sure there is room in your heart for the old love and the new love when you find it. I would give yourself time. The future (your future) will unfold. Try not to feel the need to question what this future may look like while your grief is so fresh. It will fall into place in time. Loving and honoring yourself through this grieving process is what is required right now. I understand that the pain is so raw it feels like filling the void would help. We all feel that missing piece. First, we have to fill ourselves up. I think, otherwise, we risk making a less than healthy choice about what will fill our heart and soul.  

Hugs to you.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, PLin said:

I would give yourself time. The future (your future) will unfold. Try not to feel the need to question what this future may look like while your grief is so fresh. It will fall into place in time.

One day at a time right? I read that everywhere and say it so often, but when it comes to applying it, I struggle. Thank you so much @PLin. I appreciate the kind and wise words. So hard to carry on without my husband, I feel as though I am quite lost in every aspect of life. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I don't think I will ever fall out of love with him.  I accept he is never coming back and I have to live without him but he will forever have a part of my heart no matter what happens in my future.  I fear I will never find another mate or any person period who can fulfill my life like he did. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I don't know if you lose your in love or not.  A Halloween movie my daughter loves say love in infinite.  You can always make more.  Same as when you add another child to your family.  It doesn't diminish the love you have for your other children it adds to you heart.  Hugs

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
15 hours ago, Tami M said:

love in infinite.  You can always make more.

Beautiful thought, thank you for sharing! @Tami M

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, GoldenRose said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on falling out of love with your deceased partner?

It doesn't happen, not even if you remarry...your heart can expand to embrace another but never do you stop loving/missing the one you've lost.  It's different for those who weren't happy with their partner.

21 hours ago, PLin said:

but I would think as time goes on the loving feelings will be different.

Continuing Bonds - WYG
Continuing Relationships

19 hours ago, GoldenRose said:

One day at a time right? I read that everywhere and say it so often, but when it comes to applying it, I struggle.

I've found it takes reminding myself to get back into today. ;)

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Jen H said:

I don't think I will ever fall out of love with him.  I accept he is never coming back and I have to live without him but he will forever have a part of my heart no matter what happens in my future.  I fear I will never find another mate or any person period who can fulfill my life like he did. 

I feel exactly the same.  I'm not looking, so it'd take a miracle. ;)

15 hours ago, Tami M said:

Same as when you add another child to your family.  It doesn't diminish the love you have for your other children it adds to you heart.

Exactly!