Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Dylan, my only, my love, and my life

designer2

• Members

I have been haunting this site for a while now trying to drum up the courage to tell about my son's tragedy. My Dylan would still be here now but for the gross negligence of people who are trained to save lives. He was suffering from acute appendicitis, but know one knew it. I took him to the clinic but the P.A.C he saw told me that he had gastroenteritis and sent him home. He was so sick and no one really knew; not even me. It hurts me deeply that I wasn't able to protect my child that I love with my whole being from a death so unfair. Dylan was so trusting of everyone, and so was I. When it was finally realized that he was ruptured, it was too late. The sepsis combined with kidney failure due to severe dehydration took my baby. The whole thing is in litigation now, and I have been told that never has a case been so justified. The doctors have no explaination for the negligence that occurred. I will never be able to forget the fear on my son's face when told they were taking him to emergency surgery. He looked at me and said "Are they gonna do it now ma?" Those were his last words to me. My precious only child was only 27 and still such an innocent. He never experienced many things a man his age normally knows; the love of a woman, the opportunity to be successful in life, freedom to be on his own...you see he had some disabilities. Dylan was truly my angel even before he left this earth, and my God I love him so. His loss is killing me inside. He was my best friend. I never knew that the human heart could hurt so badly. I have been seeking help through support groups and counseling but I need what is here too, the comfort of communicating with those who have lost a child. Please kindly reach out to me for I feel I'm losing myself in this raging grief. I long for bands of angels.

Cindy

• Members

Cindy,

My heart breaks for you and your precious child. I recently lost my 16 yr old daughter suddenly in a car accident....4 weeks ago yesterday. I fear I do not have the skill to truly comfort you, but can say that this site and the people posting on this site have been a blessing to me. They will reach out to you with love, understanding, patience and sympathy. We are each bound by unspeakable sorrow and loss. No one really comprehends its magnitude until they are placed on this journey. I was told to post in the Loss of Adult Child Forum. You will be embraced with open arms and hearts there, just as I and many others have been. You will have the liberty of expressing yourself and your sorrow in all its rawness and ugliness. There's nothing "pleasant" about this experience or the new life we must carve out of the nothingness that is left to us. Please post in the Loss of Adult Child Forum. Tell everyone about your child, about yourself, about whatever you need to tell. You will be welcome and received and safe there. I will be keeping you and Dylan in my thoughts and heart.

Susan - Shannon's Mom

• Members

Cindy-I am so sorry for the loss of your son Dylan. My 23 yr old daughter Ashley was diagnosed with H1N1 in September of 2009. She seemed to recover ok, until mid November 2009, when she felt sick again with a fever. The doctor sent her home with antibiotics. 2 days later the ER sent her home, "just a virus". 3 days later, at the ER again, they realize it's pneumonia. Ashley had pneumonia before, and tried to tell them that's what it felt like. The next day they put her in a medically induced coma. 3wks later they are able to bring her out of the coma, and she is sent to the step-down unit. The very next day (this is early Dec 2009), she develops 106 degree fever, ventilator acquired pneumonia. That week her lung collapsed, and they weren't sure she would make it, but she fights and starts to recover (still in med-induced coma). Early Jan 2010 she gets moved to step-down unit again. She is very weak, and has acquired a blood clot due to being bed ridden for 3 months. The first week of Feb 2010, she is beginning to get weaned off the ventilator and they began light physical therapy. On 2-9-10, they call me and say for the first time in 3 months, she can have a slushy (she's been on IV the entire time). I leave work early because we were supposed t get a huge snowstorm. I bring her a slushy, but the nurse says her heart rate was way up, and she can't have it. She is so mad at me, because she wanted the slushy so bad. Her heart rate goes up and up. I keep asking the nurses if it could be a blood clot travelling to her heart. They say no, she is on blood thinners. Finally her heart rate starts dropping, all the way to zero. The nurse one minute tells me she's fine, calm down, then calls a code blue. They can't restart her heart, although the try for over an hour.

Although there was not out and out negligence in Ashley's case,like there was in Dylan's, I feel several mistakes were made tha cost Ashley her life.

My heart breaks to hear your story, but you have come to the right place. Although nothing can bring our angels back, we are all hear to support you through your tears, and eventually laughter. Please tell us more about Dylan and share pictures when you are up to it. There is a lot of support on th Loss of Adult child page.

Amy/Ashley's mom

• Members

Cindy, my heart goes out to you. I lost my beautiful son Feb. 11 of this year, very suddenly to a drug overdose. I found him in his room. It was the most traumatic thing that will ever happen to me. I didn't even get to say goodbye.

BUT...this group of wonderful people, above all others, have led me down a path of healing, understanding and compassion. Please do join us in Loss of an Adult Child. I promise you will find love and support. Please know that we all care and are here for you every step of the way.

With love,

Pam

• Members

Cindy: I am currently travelling with my husband and am now hvg to use his cell to send this msg so I won't be saying much as it is super hard for me to post this way

here. Jst wntd to say to u how very sorry I am for ur loss of ur precious child. Our son mike died of brain cancer on oct 14 2006. Plse come to the "loss of adult child" section and you will find much comfort from others who travel this very sad road. We all wld love to hear about ur beautiful son and to help u walk this road.

Carol and mikesmomrs

• Members

I have been searching for a site where I can share the loss of my daughter and when I came across your story I began to cry. The reason why it touched me so deeply is because my 19 year old daughter Nessa, who was a special needs child, passed away from a ruptured appendix that went undetected for 17 days and by the time we realized how sick she was it was to late. It was so painful to watch her suffer the way she did, it took the doctors three days to finally diagnose her and when they went in to do surgery it was to late, the infection had already spread to other parts of her body. The hospital had no idea what to do to save her life so she was put on a breathing machine and she passed away three months later from septic ARDS. Each day goes by in slow motion and I wonder if I will ever feel happy again. I will keep you in my prayers and I hope that you will find comfort as I have by reading your story.

Yvette

http://www.valleyoflife.com/vanessakristincastro/

• Members

Yvette-I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful daughter Vanessa. I looked at all her pictures, and she was a beautiful, well-loved girl. The last picture of you saying goodbye to her brought me to tears. It was exactly what Ashley looked like on her ventilator. You are very new on this journey. You will learn to smile again, although the sadness is always there. Please share Vanessa's life with us, on the Loss of an Adult child board.

Amy/Ashley's mom

• Members

Yvette adn Cindy, all those responding to you here are from the LOSS OF ADULT CHILD forum. We are here for you and will support you the best ways we know how. Please join us there in the forum of Loss of Adult Child.

I lost my Daughter 8.5 years ago, she was 19 at the time, would be 27 now. Come let us help you so that you can lean on us.

dee

Archived