Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Losing dad

Leemiki2

• Members

My dad passed November 10, 2020. I used to think about him exclusively,  all day every day. In the last 6 months more or less I think of him once to several times a day. But they're happy thoughts. And I miss him. I had my first dream of him since he passed. It was so lucid and real. He looked healthy,  vibrant and happy. We had a good conversion. What concerns me is that I really haven't broken down yet. Is it coming? Am I doing this wrong? Am I even grieving?

• Members

Dear Leemiki2,

Please know there is no right way or wrong way to grieve. We all take a different path and that is okay. My counsellor told me that on average the most intense grief will abate around 18 months but that some people could grieve for 10 years. Be kind and gentle and don't judge yourself harshly. A friend said grief is a like a wave and sometimes it will come in small waves and other times it will knock us down but it's all normal. 

Please take care.

• Like 1

• Members

Hi Leemiki2,

Emotions comes and go at anytime. It will happen anytime anywhere to us. 

For me, I will let myself cry and let those unhappiness feeling out. Then I have to remind myself to think other things then it will be easier for us.

Of course, it is never easy for us. Take one day at a time. For me, it is already 4months of mother passing  and I still think and talk to her everyday.

• Like 1