Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Multiple Loss within the last year

BrandiHyatt

• Members

Hello I’m new also. In the Last year I’ve lost my dad, my ex husband and my sister in law. Then found out my mom has cancer, which is under control now thank God. I’ve been in a funk for a year, haven’t worked in 6 months and have gained a lot of weight. I have insomnia too. I guess I just want to know how you all deal with loss like this. 

• Hugs 2

• Members

Dear Brandi,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved dad, ex husband and sister in law. Grieving so many people close together is very hard on the mind and body. It takes a toll.

Please be kind and gentle to yourself and keep taking it day by day. I think that's all any of us can do. And know that there is help and support in the community and church and online.

We all grieve differently but I think it would help to talk to a grief counsellor or join a grief support group. Here are some websites that also helped me when I was deep in my grief.

Grief in Common

Grief Healing Blog

Grief Share

What's Your Grief

Grief Recovery Method.

Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

• Members
DebbieJoysDaughter

I’m sorry for your losses ❤️ One is definitely hard enough. 

I went through a difficult breakup in July…first love. And then 3 months later my mom died unexpectedly and suddenly at 60. A month later my cousin was murdered, the day after my other cousin died from a traumatic brain hemorrhage, and then my aunt died of Covid 2 days later. Now I’m dealing with a new kind of loss…my dad having a serious girlfriend. It’s a lot. How am I coping? One moment at a time. 

I’m so drained today from hours of crying. It’s been a tough one, but hey…I have good days too so I guess it balances out. I work out with a trainer twice per week to move my energy. It’s pretty much the only time I move my body during the whole week. It helps, though. I’m learning weightlifting (I’m a petite 33 year old woman) and it makes me feel very powerful. Like I can overcome this time in my life. 

• Hugs 1

• Members
randyandcarmenskid

Good Morning Brandi and Debbie Joys Daughter,

I am very sorry to hear about the significant losses in your lives. I completely understand what you are going through! I will pray for the renewal of your strength.

I too lost close family members in a short period of time (i read this is called Compounded Grief). My mom died 11/15/2020. She suffered with kidney issues and dementia. My mother-in-law died 12/16/2021. She had ALS/Lou Gherig's disease. A shock to us all. My dad died 2/2/2022. This was the worst loss ever. He was sickly but still doing OK. Emergency blood clot surgery lead to coding once and on a ventilator for 9 days. Then he's off of it, talking, doing better. Then he contracts COVID IN THE HOSPITAL!! I was completely broken at that point. He coded again, on a ventilator for a week before we decided to take him off of life support. He was in a vegetative state and passed away a week later. I am so heartbroken, just like you. 

It does feel better to share my story. Have you looked into grief counseling? That is what I plan to do soon. I just need to talk often about my pain. Feeling deeply depressed. So sad all of the time. I have a 2 year old I am trying to raise and stay sane around. It's so hard to get up every morning and be a functioning human being yet a Mother to a toddler.

Take care love.

Monica.