Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Went to first Grief share meeting last night

Bill V

• Members

I went to my first meeting and I was nervous at the start but after telling my story and hearing others stories I felt very at home with the group. It is much like here where you and say way you want without being judges and they understand it it does bring up emotions as you identify with what others are going through.  2 guys there had lost their wife’s last weekend. 

Now it is a faith bases program but they welcome non believers too no judgment there.  It only cost me $15 for the work book and they said you can came back as many times as you want and if you have another loss your welcome to come back. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'm glad and I hope you'll continue to go there.  When I led grief support groups we got very close to each other, and it really helped, not just during the meetings but in between.

• Like 1

• Members
Jennifer Uren

Bill V thank you for telling us how it went. The one near me meets on the nights I work. Unfortunately because I think I would really benefit from it. Continue to share your experience about it and also if you’re able…. could you describe what the workbook activities are? I ordered one (not grief share) and just can’t get into it. It has meditation activities but I’m still too restless.

• Like 1

• Members
36 minutes ago, Jennifer Uren said:

Continue to share your experience about it and also if you’re able…. could you describe what the workbook activities are?

Hi Jennifer well the book goes with the videos they show you at the meeting, so the book by it self is not as useful without the videos to go with it. But I will be happy to share how the meeting  goes but don’t want to post direct quotes from the book in a public forum due to copy write. They do sell the videos online but that could be expensive. 2 churches in town sponsor this program one is on Wed and the other is on Thursday so maybe they have another location you could go to.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
1 hour ago, Jennifer Uren said:

has meditation activities but I’m still too restless.

Nothing about meditation so far. I can understand about meditation and grieving, I like to meditate when I’m stress, tired and want to relax. But I tried to meditate several times after my wife passed and just couldn’t quite my mind to much going on in my head so gave up until recently and have had some success with it. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

My other site has meditations free that help in grieving:
Meditation - Tools for Healing - Grief Healing Discussion Groups
Meditation in Grief
Meditation: Helpful to Those Who Grieve
Meditations

I find it helps to start with short ten min. ones, not hour long ones. I like Belleruth Naparstek

• Members

@KayC Kay you’re an amazing lady you know so much and help so many you should write a book, I would buy it. Thanks for the links and all the help I get from you.  

• Like 3

• Moderators

Aww, how sweet!  I think I HAVE written a book with my 26k posts in my other site!  :D  I had a friend years ago who tried to read them all (studying me perhaps?)  He gave up after the first few thousand!  I think I can type faster than he could read!  LOL

• Hugs 1

• Members

Well went to my second meeting, went very well the topic last night was Challenges of grieving, was a very good video. I told the group about this forum so hope some make it here they are all a wonderful group of people. On Lady who sat next to me is grieving so hard she has a hard time talking about it and not crying. She had had such a hard time with grieving on and other things that have happened to her during all of this. My heart goes out to her I feel so bad for her. This is such a good group of people all with different things to bring to the table so glad I decided to attend, I can feel their pain but it seems to help me understand and my pain. 

One of the group members shared that all the Videos for this program are on a site called Vimeo a video hosting site on the internet. 

• Like 3