Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my partner a month ago

JosieK

• Moderators
22 hours ago, JosieK said:

I feel because I don’t have that married status, I sometimes feel people assume the relationship wasn’t that serious.

I am so sorry for your loss.  And those of us here KNOW your relationship was every bit as serious and important as any married couple, more than many!  The ring and paper were to follow, we realize that.  I am so sorry for everything you are going through and also the loss of your dreams and future.

It struck me that because you weren't married on paper you feel society doesn't recognize your grief.  That's often called disenfranchised grief, that due to all kinds of circumstances, one's grief isn't given proper due justice from others.  I wish our society was more educated about grief, unfortunately, until one has been through it, they don't know.

Disenfranchised Grief: When Grief and Grievers Are Unrecognized - SocialWorker.com
Disenfranchised Grief: Mourning the Loss of a Dream

I'm very glad you found your way here.  It helps to read/post so I hope you'll continue coming here.  It helps to know that what you're experiencing in grief is "normal" in grief.  It helps to be around others that get it and understand.

Try to take one day at a time and stay in today, I have to do it still, 16 1/2 years later.  Everyone's journey is unique and so is their timetable so it doesn't help to compare to someone else as some people put great effort into processing their grief, going to a grief counselor, reading books/articles (A Grief Observed is good!) and coming to a site like this, memorializing their loved one, learning, whereas some stay stuck where they are.  We're all different.

This is not a one-size-fits-all, what strikes us one day will be different a few months/years from now, so please save/print this for reference!

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of its own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs))) Praying for you today.

22 hours ago, JosieK said:

I don’t have the courage to do so. 

And that's probably a good thing.  The thing to keep in mind is this IS an ever-evolving journey and where you are in a couple of years will be different from today, it's important to give yourself the necessary time to learn to cope and adjust to the changes it means for your life. ;)

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Megan Devine is great, she's known for her book, It's Okay That You're Not Okay.  My pastor quotes from it all the time, it is great for grievers.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@JenJen55  I am so sorry for your loss but want to welcome you here.  I can relate so much to your story as it's similar to mine...we didn't meet until our mid 40s but knew we were soulmates, we connected in a way I never had with my kids' dad (married 23 years) or anyone else!  We understood, related to each other and adored each other reciprocally, I'd never had that before and am so glad we got to have that even though it was way too short.  We only knew each other 6 1/2 years and he died suddenly, heart attack with diabetic complications, five days after his 51st birthday.  That was 16 1/2 years ago...it's hard to believe this much time has passed as in the beginning, I honestly did not know how I'd do one week without him!  All our friends disappeared overnight and although my family cared, they didn't have a clue, my siblings all still had their spouses!  I love that you're seeing butterflies and dragonflies.  Our thing was pansies and that's one of the signs I've gotten a couple of times with them showing up in extremely unlikely places!  Another is rainbows...he went out in a humongous thunderstorm with a triple rainbow!  I figured that was him creating quite a response when he entered heaven!  :D  He would have gotten a kick out of that. ;)

7 hours ago, JenJen55 said:

People think it couldn’t possibly be that serious after that short amount of time. I have had many different relationships & to say that is so wrong as I don’t think you can be judged on length of time together, it’s different for everyone. It took my whole life to find this beautiful man & then he was so cruelly snatched away. So not fair.

OMG, I so agree with you!!!

Grief Process

This is not a one-size-fits-all, what strikes us one day will be different a few months/years from now, so please save/print this for reference!

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of its own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs))) Praying for you today.

• Members

Thank you @KayC for the welcome, your kind words, sharing your own story, loved hearing about the pansies & rainbows and also the tips which will be most helpful. I am also so sorry for your loss Kay. Thank you for helping those of us who are trying to cope with this newfound grief that we all find ourselves in & trying to navigate through it. It seems the grieving is slightly different for everyone with no right or wrong way to do it, and no set timeline, despite friends expecting us to be fine after just a short time. It’s comforting to read of others stories albeit heartbreaking too & know that we are not alone. I came to this site in a way to try to fill a bit of a void. My partner and I lived separately and yet when we weren’t spending time together we used to spend hours on the phone, texted each other constantly throughout the day, face timed each other a few times a day. I struggle with this….missing his constant contact. I’m pretty sure he’s here with me in spirit…the fact that I saw two butterflies together quite a few times yesterday apparently means undying love… so that made me happy as if that’s the message he was trying to send me. Have a lovely day/ night & thanks for listening. Take care. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
19 hours ago, JenJen55 said:

no right or wrong way to do it, and no set timeline

Exactly!  Friends need to put their expectations in the garbage where it belongs. ;)  Even if one has been through it, that doesn't mean it'll be the same experience as our love, our relationships, our personalities and coping skills are all unique.

I'm glad you feel he's with you in spirit!  I had an experience years after George's death that I couldn't explain but it was very real.

I'd lost my job and experienced age discrimination back in the recession.  I was called back part time for a year then suddenly w/o notice given a pink slip, no warning.  I lived on my savings for four years but ran out a year shy of full soc. sec.  When I called to check on it, the lady callously told me I'd get $250/month.  Then she wouldn't double check.  It was the beginning of a three day weekend and I needed to wait until Tues. to talk to someone else.  I knew it couldn't be right but she sent my anxiety through the roof!

That eve. I was lying on my bed and I felt George's hand on my back/shoulder area.  It was 12 1/2 years after he'd died!  I instantly felt calm, peaceful!  It carried me through the long weekend and Tues. I got someone really nice that gave me the true amount.  She had just been talking off the top of her head, uncaring how it affected me, clearly wanting to get off the phone and start her weekend!  He not only told me what the correct amount would be, he filed for me and even took care of my Medicare w/h!  

Why then and not any other time?  IDK.  I only know when I truly needed it, he was there.  I've never had anything like that before or since.

• Like 3

• Members

I had only one dream where I prayed to hold my wife and hear her voice.  I haven't seen anything since nor have I felt her.  The grief I feel just makes it hard to feel anything.   I'm scared that my mind is broken and I will feel like this forever.  I have read that people feel a sense of calm when they need it most.  I guess I don't need it as much as I think I do.  Hopefully it will happen again.  I can only pray that our loved ones want to reach out but it's hard for them and that's why we don't feel their presence more.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I don't claim to know/understand the why/why not of signs.  I've heard it's very difficult for them to reach us, IDK. 

• Like 1

• Members

Hi @JenJen55

I’m so sorry for your loss of your partner - it’s so devastating and heartbreaking. Thank you for your kind words and sharing your story.

I feel I can really resonate with you. Although different circumstances, we both lost our soulmates and robbed of the chance of having a future with our loved ones! It’s so unfair. I wish we both could have had more time with our partners. I was also not living together with my partner and ever since the day we met, there’s not a day where we wouldn’t talk to each other. We would always text, call or FaceTime throughout the day. He would always start the day by sending me a good morning text and at the end of the day, a goodnight text. I really miss hearing from him. There are times where I still pick up the phone and think, maybe I’ll receive a message or call from him or times where I’ve tried calling his phone thinking someone will pick up on the other end. I also did not get a chance to meet all of his friends and family and it was sad to meet some of them at his funeral.. It was nice to finally meet the friends and family he always mentioned but sad it was under those circumstances.

I’m glad you’re seeing signs from your partner. I know it’s not the same but I’m glad it brings some positivity and any reminder of their love is always so beautiful. 

Sending you big hugs.

please take care and stay safe. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, JosieK said:

I’m glad you’re seeing signs from your partner. I know it’s not the same but I’m glad it brings some positivity and any reminder of their love is always so beautiful. 

At least it can help us feel still connected to them, so important!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Hi @KMkm,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your wife. Thank you for sharing, taking the time to reply and your kind words.

I know when mental health is involved it becomes a bit more complex and there are still times where I have the ‘what ifs’. I know my partner never wanted me to worry and would tell me things would be ok whenever I questioned.. but I can’t still wonder if I had done things differently would it be different and he’d still be here with me.

I completely agree with you about not knowing what grief was and I did not know grief till I experienced it. Never did I imagine how painful it could be and how our world would changed.

I feel because of my age and my partner and I weren’t married and not living together, some would assume that our relationship had not developed to that level of ‘seriousness’. I do get the odd comments about how I’m so young and there’s probably someone else out there for me. I’m sure the comments are coming from a good place but it feels they are brushing off everything I’m feeling and my love for my partner.

In your post, you said you were in a bad place a few years ago, I hope you’re ok and you are holding up ok too during this difficult time. Please reach out anytime you need. 

Take care.

• Like 3

• Members
22 minutes ago, KayC said:

At least it can help us feel still connected to them, so important!

I haven’t had much signs and I wish there’s more but the one I remember clearly is the day of my partner’s funeral, early in the morning, I went to my backyard and I saw a big white feather laying on the ground.. and I thought did he come to see me?

• Like 4