Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Help with this forum

Bill V

• Members

Can some explained how to use this quote thing, I see a box and if I click it it changes to a check mark. If I click on quote it quoted all the text. I want to be able to just quote just a small piece of text like I see others do or just reply to a person without a quote at all thanks

• Like 1

• Members

I can try. 

If you click on the + (plus sign) next to "Quote" at the bottom of a post, I believe that indicates you are going to grab/copy multiple posts to quote in your reply.  Like if I wrote something and Kay wrote something and you wanted to reference both, you'd click the + under mine and the + under hers and then click "Quote" under one or other and both would pop into your reply.

Now for the ones I know for sure:

If you want to quote one whole post, you just click on "Quote" at the bottom of that post and the whole text will copy as a quote box into your reply.  (ETA:  I just re-read and realized you had already figured out that one. Oh well, maybe this will help someone else.)  Like this:

1 hour ago, Bill V said:

Can some explained how to use this quote thing, I see a box and if I click it it changes to a check mark. If I click on quote it quoted all the text. I want to be able to just quote just a small piece of text like I see others do or just reply to a person without a quote at all thanks

The one you are specifically looking for right now is this one.  If you want to quote just a portion of someone's post, you highlight the text you want to quote (front to back only; I learned back to front doesn't "grab" it).  Once you've highlighted the portion you want, just keep your cursor "hovering" there and a little box will come up that says "Quote selection."  Click on that and the selected text will copy into your reply.  Like this:

1 hour ago, Bill V said:

I want to be able to just quote just a small piece of text like I see others do

And finally, if you want to reply to someone without quoting them, you can direct your response to them by name.

In your reply box, type @ and a dropdown list of members' names comes up.  Then, with no space between the @ and the username, start typing the member's name.  When you see the one you want, click on it.  Their name will be highlighted in your reply box, you write what you want to them, and they'll get a notification once you post.  Like this:

@Bill V I hope this helps.  It took me a while and a lot of "thrashing about" (my husband's term for blindly trying to figure out things) to get it.  For all I know, there's a tutorial somewhere on the site that I never bothered to look for.  And I do hope this helps.:biggrin:

Edited by foreverhis
Add a note
  • Like 2

• Members
1 hour ago, foreverhis said:

I hope this helps.

Ok thanks so much that works great and helped a lot. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Like if I wrote something and Kay wrote something and you wanted to reference both, you'd click the + under mine and the + under hers and then click "Quote" under one or other and both would pop into your reply.

I never knew that!

• Hugs 1