Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Role reversal

BBB

• Members

I think something that we ALL think about and is quite unnerving to me at least is this -

I looked upon my wife many times while she was in home hospice being her caretaker. It was difficult but also my duty and honor to be her caretaker, (in sickness and in health)

The unnerving part to me is that I wonder, if I wind up in that hospice bed one day, who will be my caretaker?

• Like 2

• Members

This worries me alot.  I have no family, no him, only my disabled brother and daughter.  Will never be a grandmother.  I've always took care of everyone.  I figure I'll have to be in a nursing home if I get sick or too old.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members

I worry about this too. I used to tell my wife that I would always be there for her and take care of her when she needed it. I was there for her when she couldn't take care of herself any more and even though she was uneasy with it, I did it out of love for her. And I would gladly do it all over again, and if she had made it, I would have been by her side to take care of her.

Now I'm alone, the kids have their own lives, and I'm grateful if I get a call once in a blue moon. I might have to sell the house and get into a one level place because I know my knees have had it. I don't want to go to a nursing home, but that could be another 20 years down the road. The future is frightening, I just hope a family member will take me in, otherwise I might have to get a live in nanny. Too bad for the estate, if there's nothing left, oh well.

• Like 3

• Members
2 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

I worry about this too. I used to tell my wife that I would always be there for her and take care of her when she needed it. I was there for her when she couldn't take care of herself any more and even though she was uneasy with it, I did it out of love for her. And I would gladly do it all over again, and if she had made it, I would have been by her side to take care of her.

Now I'm alone, the kids have their own lives, and I'm grateful if I get a call once in a blue moon. I might have to sell the house and get into a one level place because I know my knees have had it. I don't want to go to a nursing home, but that could be another 20 years down the road. The future is frightening, I just hope a family member will take me in, otherwise I might have to get a live in nanny. Too bad for the estate, if there's nothing left, oh well.

@Sparky1oh my goodness relate so much to this. I miss my wife so much and would do anything all over again to take care of her. Future is scary with nobody to watch out for us… can’t fathom 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Oh yes, BBB, I'm truly on my own, so no idea, I'd hate going to a care center as they'd mess up my diabetes and no control over when I go to sleep, when I wake up, etc.  I have a friend in rehab right now and it's horrible, my sister hated it too.  I fought so hard to get her home!

• Members

My daughter will probably take care of me. But I cannot say for sure as she is still 12 but we're close and have a good relationship. Later down the road, when she grows up, she might change. But if she is anything like her mom, then the future is bright for me. For now, I should prioritize about taking care of her first.

• Like 2