Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Pointless

LMR

• Members

I feel exactly the same way, to be honest. 16 days has past since I lost the love of my life. I mean, wow it's over 2 weeks already? I couldn't imagine how I made it through. Also, I've been feeling like days are going too fast for me? It's weird. Is it because everything now seem pointless to me? Like, I just let the days pass without noticing them. "Take it one day at a time". Yes, I'm trying. But for me, each day feels exactly the same as the other, like I'm living in a nightmare. Please wake me up, hon (Catherine). Like @catcat, I also find purpose on trying to help/comfort other people in the best way I can. Makes me feel "normal" and kind of worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

@LMR I can sympathize with you on this.  I have struggled with selling my home wondering if living here is the reason I am so sad and can’t make a life for myself.  It is a toss up.  Be alone or keep the home….?  This is why I went to visit my daughter in California for the winter.  It helped give me perspective without actually making the irreversible decision.  As of right now I will keep my home.  The visit and change of scenery was exactly what I needed.  It jolted me out of my “funk” and my daughter and her husband were so helpful and patient with me in helping me sort out my feelings.

would a visit back to Nevada be therapeutic for you?  Maybe seeing your home again and sorting through those memories and emotions may help put things into perspective for you.  Just a thought.  A visit with friends from the area may be a welcome change as well?

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@LMR Your words are so in line with how I felt for my first three years: afraid of everything, paralyzed, every aspect of my life was out of my control. I was also riddled with guilt and self-loathing. Everything seemed pointless, as I knew nothing would ever get any better, because he was never coming back.   

I am so sorry if you are feeling as bad as I felt, because it was awful. 

I turned the corner in my 4th year. I am not sure why or how, maybe it was just time.  None of the terrible things I was so afraid of, injury, illness, victim of crime or natural disaster, had actually come to pass, and some how my terror subsided. I intentionally tried to regain control over bits of my life, starting with making my bed each morning. Little things like that.  (Living alone in a house with no visitors had lead to my "letting things go", such as normal house keeping and such.  Living with your sister probably keeps that in check.)

I took Kay's advice to search for and audibly recognize any good thing I could find. A cool breeze, a bird's song, finding a button I needed, anything! I tried to learn something new, piano lessons. 

I say all this, because I don't think you are feeling this way because you moved to England.  I think you would feel this way wherever you might be. 

It is grief. It's terrible. But eventually, you find a way to live with it. 

Gail 

• Like 4

• Members

LMR i am so sorry you feel so down...!

From the first moment i thought that it was better for me left my house and my memories  behind...

After almost 4 years now i am enough comfortable in my house with my memories of him...

not all the days! Sometimes i cry and i miss him so much...but here i feel his presence, here we were happy and together!

I don't know..

'cos sometimes i feel relieved when i go in places where we have never been together...'cos i don't have to remember our life !

Conflicting emotions

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

I thought about leaving my home as well.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I didn't go home for a few weeks after my wife passed and I had a hard time being home.  I'm still not Ok after two months but knowing that this was our house and my kids grew up here, it makes it easier.  I would hate to leave what little connection  I have to her.  I imagine her still here and watching over us.  I am barely getting by and how uncertain my future is I almost feel like giving up.  But I think about how would I look my wife in the eye when I see her next and be able to ask one question.  Did I honor your spirit and memory by living my life fully?  I imagine that she is still beside me enjoying what I'm doing and the happier I am then maybe the happier she is too.  I don't know if anyone thinks that way but I try to find reasons to go on no matter how hard it may seem.  It may seem pointless at times and I know the feeling but like many people will say, just give it time and things will getter better.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I don't think you are feeling this way because you moved to England.  I think you would feel this way wherever you might be. 

This is a valid point I hadn't thought of, you may be right!

• Like 1

• Moderators

George and I honeymooned at the coast...we went to our same place, got the same room, every year of our anv.  I'd booked it for our anv. after his death, but just couldn't do it, I canceled.  Years later I was ready to go and take my dog and I lost my job right before my vacation time, no notice.  No $ for it then.  A few years later I was ready to go and tried to call and book it...and learned it'd been torn down.  I lost my chance.

Sometimes no matter what we do or don't do or how we handle it, it just doesn't feel right.  Why?  Plain and simple, because they're not here.  It wouldn't really matter where we lived or went, so long as we could be together.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

None of you are alone as far as feeling it's all pointless now. I wasn't doing good but thought I was doing okay but then...it all took a turn and I'm back to feeling like I don't have any purpose. Maybe the fact that I am still in a proverbial holding pattern here has something to do with it. If I could have afforded it, I could have easily seen myself keeping the apartment my husband and I had. We both loved it. On the other hand, moving out has sort of forced me to look to the future. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@Gail 8588 I think you are probably right and I would feel this way wherever I went however when I was alone in my own home I could cry as much as I wanted without feeling guilty. My sister never complains but it can't be nice for her. Anyway I don't think I can afford to go back and start over. Everything is gone.

@Jennifer UrenI am so sorry but you are not alone in feeling that way.  It is all still quite knew for you. We find reasons to keep going, for me it's to avoid hurting my sister but it's hard. I live like I'm two different people in one body.

• Like 3

• Members
11 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

To people around me, it looked like I was doing sort of okay, though not quite the Gail from before.  But on the inside, the real me was losing her mind. 

That is exactly it Gail. They know I am hurting but not the extent. I feel like I want to scream "I'm dying in here". Sometimes I do break down and sob and they think I'm having a bad day, tomorrow will be better, but in truth I am sobbing inside all the time.

Thanks for the encouragement.

@KayCThanks for your support too.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1