Some days are harder than others

Forever17

• Members

I’m struggling harder than I have recently.  I lost my beautiful 17 year old son May14, 2018.  He had just graduated high school the day before. It was a senseless car accident with an animal.  He was killed on impact.  For some reason, this holiday season has been the worst yet.  The first one I was so numb that I don’t even remember any of it.  I guess what I’m trying to figure out is if this is normal this far out.  I just miss him. I miss his energy and his light.  I miss his smile.  

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Forever17,

Always know your feelings are valid and real and deserve to be expressed. There is no right way or wrong way to grieve. It take 1 year or 10 years or longer. Everyone's journey is so different.

Thinking of you. Please know we are here. x 

• Members

Sorry you have been going through such a hard time.  Please know grief really never ends and comes in waves.  We never move on, we just learn to live with it.  I don't know what it feels like to lose a child but I've had many losses throughout the years.  You will never forget him and will always love and miss him.  Especially the holidays it is completely normal.  If you are living your life the best you can then you are doing just fine.  Find joy in everyday even if it is just remembering the good times with him.  Hope the coming days will be better for you.

• Members
May never come
On 12/20/2021 at 12:43 PM, Forever17 said:

I’m struggling harder than I have recently.  I lost my beautiful 17 year old son May14, 2018.  He had just graduated high school the day before. It was a senseless car accident with an animal.  He was killed on impact.  For some reason, this holiday season has been the worst yet.  The first one I was so numb that I don’t even remember any of it.  I guess what I’m trying to figure out is if this is normal this far out.  I just miss him. I miss his energy and his light.  I miss his smile.  

• Members
May never come

I just lost my son this past May. Very unexpectedly. He is my only child. Some days I just want to take a deep breath and never let it out again. Other days my life is so foreign to me. Never in a million years would I believe this is how my life would go. My grief counselor said the firsts are always the hardest. That I don’t believe. Christmas I was so numb. Just like the day of his funeral. I feel I build this wall to keep my pain at bay. Like you Forever 17 I miss his smile. I miss his sense of humor the way he could make me laugh. Right now it feels like it’ll never get easier.

• Members
yostkimberly23

I am so very sorry for your loss..I lost my sweet daughter to domestic violence on Christmas Eve 2021..I certainly don't hold out much hope of ever enjoying the holidays again unfortunately. I am going to try to honor her next Christmas by doing something to help someone that has been abused and seeks a way out.. perhaps you could invent a way to memorialize your son during the holidays despite the actual date of his death