Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Regressing

BBB

• Members

It's been 16 mos for me and I definitely have felt I was doing better for a while only to backslide into deep grief again.  My sister lost her husband almost two months to the day after I lost David, and she seems to be doing better than I am, but her husband was a trucker and was gone 5 days a week for decades so she was already used to his physical absence.  I try not to compare, but sometimes I wonder why I seem to be struggling more to find my footing.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Yoli said:

BBB, I am and a year and a half too. Yesterday particularly bad as I had a bit of an email battle at work. On the way home it dawned on me that the other person could go home to their spouse and vent and all I could go home to was a wall of silence. So I cried all the way home, drove into the garage, closed the door, left the car running and contemplated leaving it running. Obviously I turned it off but screamed and dug my nails I to my arm enough to draw blood. So safe to say you are not alone in feeling in your regression.

Yoli, I am so sorry you had that horrible experience and it left you feeling like that.  I'm glad you didn't give in to your feelings, they aren't important enough to drive you to that, and I know you can't see it now but you will get through this and eventually adjust, I know I can't explain that to any of you, I could not possibly have foreseen it either and wouldn't have believed it had anyone told me, but after this long I'm good and used to being alone all the time....not that I like it.  I STILL love and miss George, I always will.  He was my soulmate, my best friend, the only man who ever loved me. 

17 hours ago, BBB said:

Thanks Yoli. I'm glad (and not glad) that I'm not the only one. I thought the beginning would be the hardest but clearly not. It's a bit frustrating and at times overwhelming that we wind up regressing. I'm seriously considering not going down to my parents this Christmas even though they would be upset. I just don't think I can deal with them this year. Even my mother is not an empath.

Please do what is in YOUR best interest!  We can't live to please our parents, we have to take into consideration where WE are at and what our needs are.  There's other holidays...someday.

12 hours ago, Darlene13 said:

My sister lost her husband almost two months to the day after I lost David, and she seems to be doing better than I am, but her husband was a trucker and was gone 5 days a week for decades so she was already used to his physical absence.  I try not to compare, but sometimes I wonder why I seem to be struggling more to find my footing.

As you well know, everyone's relationship is NOT the same, not judging their situation but when you love more, you have more to lose, also not everyone grieves the same, some put it off, ignore it, put on a good front.  Try not to compare as it devalues your experience and let her do her, you do you...for you this is devastating and that's all you need to know and respond to, your feelings are completely valid.  

11 hours ago, foreverhis said:

It will always be part of me, always.

Yes, it is for me also, it forever changes us, and is never gone from us.  I deal with it every day even with all these years...even though I no longer expect him to come through the door or call me.

4 minutes ago, SSC said:

I am fortunate my family believes none of this is about “moving on”

Yes, no such thing, I hate that term, it implies we leave them behind, NO!  Instead we incorporate new ways of connecting with them...

Continuing beyond physical death
Continuing Bonds - rituals, world, body, life, beliefs, cause, time, person, human
Continuing Bonds - WYG
Continuing Relationships

• Like 4

• Members
15 hours ago, SSC said:

your eloquent writing resonates with me so much.  I am not gifted with putting my thoughts down in words and when reading what you write it brings tears because this is how I feel as well.  

Thank you so much.  Though my career was in technical and scientific writing, editing, and publication design, I often write my feelings in stream of consciousness, poetry (some good, some...not so much), and here.  I tend to be rather emotive when I write and speak.  Maybe it's decades in theater and music or maybe I'm just a drama queen (John would have agreed with that, once in a while). 

I'm sorry that what I writes makes you cry though, unless you find it cathartic.  I often make myself cry with it and don't find that a bad thing because it means I still feel his loss as deeply as ever.  I'd rather have that than let him fade from me.  I consider it my responsibility to keep his memory alive, to tell our stories, and most especially to help his (well, our) adored and adoring granddaughter finish growing up.  In the beginning, any time I felt as if I wanted to just give up, I tried to remind myself that our daughter deserves to have her mom around for a while longer.  Sometimes it's so hard to care about that, but I don't want to let John down any more than I already have.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
8 hours ago, LMR said:

You are exactly right. I do the very same thing and even though my family is very supportive and caring it is just impossible to explain the depth and complexity of that feeling.

Same here.  My small circle of friends and family do what they can.  They understand as much as possible, but they also know they can't "get it" because it hasn't happened to them.  I came to the conclusion fairly early on that one of the reasons we have trouble expressing our grief in words is that the words for it do not exist.  How can they?

• Like 4

• Moderators

Annie, I also have that feeling like our life together was a movie I once saw.  It seems so remote from me now...like did it really happen?  Or did I just conjure this up?  I go look at his birth certificate, our marriage certificate, his death certificate...they all point to his having been here.  I have pictures up of him everywhere, I see his handwriting.  I see the thick file on his Native American tribe.  He was here.  Why then does it feel so surreal?

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, SDC said:

I left the shop, started crying as I walked down the block, and returned--full on weeping--asking for the boots so I could take them home. WTF?! I felt insane, but couldn't stop myself.

Oh I get this...I'm so sorry, I know the pain, it's like anything we let go of takes us further away from them, it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else.  It is.

• Like 2

• Members

If I had to to guess Kay I would say that it's length of time. I'm going to hate reaching that point where it feels like a movie and questioning whether it happened or not when it was in fact the most important thing that ever happened in my life.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BBB said:

One family member told me that I really need to get past this 'self-pity'.

OMG!!!  I'm sorry, I'd have an earful to give them!  Pisses me off!  And I don't use language like that!  But this evokes a lot of emotion in me.  I'd send them an article and educate them!  That's me, I care little what others think of me, I want to set them straight, first and foremost!  I sure you are a helluva lot nicer than me though.
What to Say (Or Not) to A Person in Grief

4 minutes ago, BBB said:

If I had to to guess Kay I would say that it's length of time. I'm going to hate reaching that point where it feels like a movie and questioning whether it happened or not when it was in fact the most important thing that ever happened in my life.

I don't know, it seemed it didn't take a long time to feel that way.  :(  It just feels forever since he's held me.  Time seems to warp in grief.

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, BBB said:

One family member told me that I really need to get past this 'self-pity'. 

You don't want to know what my response would have been to such an asinine and thoughtless remark. But they are fortunate I was not the one they were saying it to.

• Like 3

• Moderators
9 hours ago, KayC said:

Annie, I also have that feeling like our life together was a movie I once saw.  It seems so remote from me now...like did it really happen?  Or did I just conjure this up?  I go look at his birth certificate, our marriage certificate, his death certificate...they all point to his having been here.  I have pictures up of him everywhere, I see his handwriting.  I see the thick file on his Native American tribe.  He was here.  Why then does it feel so surreal?

My guess would be a) the passage of time does that to us...even good memories I have of long ago seem more like a dream than real now, and b) Maybe like it was with me it's a defense mechanism. It's too insane to be real, so we see it in a more surreal way.

21 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Same here.  My small circle of friends and family do what they can.  They understand as much as possible, but they also know they can't "get it" because it hasn't happened to them.  I came to the conclusion fairly early on that one of the reasons we have trouble expressing our grief in words is that the words for it do not exist.  How can they?

Exactly....

• Like 2

• Members

I wish I could not think about it, I really do.  It gives me anxiety attacks.  Also being alone too much. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
14 hours ago, widower2 said:

My guess would be a) the passage of time does that to us

Maybe in part, but it felt surreal even back then, grief seems to warp time.  It can seem like both yesterday and forever at the same time.  There's no making sense of it.

1 hour ago, SSC said:

I am currently not working but the idea of working a job until I die has its appeal.  

I felt that at 55 too but between age discrimination, loss of jobs, no one would hire me, it was a recession, then too I've had injuries that affected my ability to keep commuting so far (no jobs locally), and eventually one's brain gets tired and it gets harder and harder, I guess there's a reason people retire.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

@Roxeanne what you write about separation makes total sense to me!  My thoughts exactly!! And in my insane mind I somehow look for this possibility because then I could navigate the rest of my life in some fashion.  My life wouldn’t be a total loss.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, SSC said:

I wish I could not think about it, I really do.  It gives me anxiety attacks.  Also being alone too much. 

Somewhere I heard this: "loneliness is everything it's cracked up to be." Living alone can wear on you, like river water rushing over a rock whittles it down. I definitely advocate trying to get out as much as possible with family, friends, whoever. We're human beings. We're social creatures. We need company as much as we need food and water. Oh the need isn't as immediate or obvious and we can survive without it...but not really live, on the whole.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, KayC said:

It can seem like both yesterday and forever at the same time.  

Bingo. Perfectly summed up. 

I felt that at 55 too but between age discrimination, loss of jobs, no one would hire me, it was a recession, then too I've had injuries that affected my ability to keep commuting so far (no jobs locally), and eventually one's brain gets tired and it gets harder and harder, I guess there's a reason people retire.

Man if I could retire I would! But I admit although the job can take its toll, it is also a needed distraction. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, widower2 said:

I admit although the job can take its toll, it is also a needed distraction.

I agree with this statement.  What I don't miss is the 100 mile commute and working for an idiot...no other way to put it, plus never getting paid on time or appreciated...not once in my last seven year job, which was the worst of my career.  Between the recession and age discrimination, I "retired" years before I had planned on it.  But when it happened (I couldn't get another job so did volunteer work in my field until last February) I never looked back.  There's plenty to keep us busy outside of jobs.  Most days I run out of time.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

A 100 mile commute is pure dedication.  I know you had no other alternative under the circumstances and you did what you had to do.  What you had to endure is amazing to me KayC and I am so impressed at your resiliency.  

volunteering seems to be key in giving us purpose and also in helping us to heal.  This may be a better place for me to put my efforts.

• Like 3

• Members
28 minutes ago, SSC said:

volunteering seems to be key in giving us purpose and also in helping us to heal.  This may be a better place for me to put my efforts.

I have definitely found this to be true! I retired in June 2020 and although I miss the students, I don't miss the long hours and stress. My husband and I didn't have children, so I live alone and yes, it gets extremely lonely. I started volunteering last spring at Covid vaccination sites (I'm an RN), and it gets me out of the house and allows me to interact with others who are truly grateful for the service. Of course it still hurts to go back to home and be alone, but it provides me with much needed distraction. Being able to pick and choose my own hours is an advantage too!

I mentioned earlier on this topic that the beginning of my second year without my husband is harder than six months ago, which others have experienced. Regardless of the timing, we are all experiencing grief and the physical and emotional reactions that goes with it, so my prayers and thoughts go out to everyone on this forum.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

If I lived in the city and it wasn't 150 mile round trip, I'd volunteer at a dog shelter.  Of course reality is probably they'd have me shovel dog sh*t.  ;)  I'm too old for the commute, esp. with these winters.  I tried walking neighbor's dogs, look how that turned out!  (my hands)

I feel my heart drawn to helping people with grief, and diabetics.  It's important to find something we feel passionate about.  My daughter spent years donating her one day off to a food bank.  Some do to warming centers.  Bloom where you are planted...so important to realize what garden you're drawn to!

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 11/19/2021 at 11:02 AM, KayC said:

I agree with this statement.  What I don't miss is the 100 mile commute and working for an idiot...

Are you sure this was in Oregon? You described at least half of my jobs (mileage variance notwithstanding).

• Moderators

Well last I looked, this is where I've lived my life!  And I don't CHOOSE to be on the road if I am not compelled to!  I'm not sure the state makes a difference.