Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost dad at 14

Shellyduke

• Members

I lost my dad to cancer when I was 14. He was diagnosed, and two weeks later he was gone. Very quick and difficult to process. I’m now 24 and still struggle sometimes. I’ve been through graduations, wedding, and had a child without him. Since having a child, I struggle with the fact that I could end up like my dad and be gone in two weeks. Anytime something goes wrong with mine or my child’s’ health I get major anxiety and think this could be it. Does anyone else struggle with health fears after loss? 

• Members

Dear Shelly,

I think it's normal to have these triggers and to feel this way after going through a devastating loss. I feel this way too. It's important to find a support group, talk to a therapist or a trusted friend about your feelings. I read different suggestions online but I hope a professional therapist or counsellor will be able to guide you.