Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Reality shift

Missy1

• Members

Absolutely a reality shift! To me, our life together before he passed seems like another lifetime. And I also have to look at photos, read messages every day to keep reminding myself that it was real and it did happen. My regret now is that I didn’t appreciate it as much at the time as it was worth. And I know it can never happen again because I am a different person now in a new reality and he, my one and only, my unique soulmate is gone... I am sorry I don’t have any words of consolation, only words of understanding. (((Hugs)))

Sent from my iPad using Grieving.com

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
5 hours ago, Missy1 said:

I see others it have  recovered so much quicker than I have.

Missy, My loss was Feb 1 or 2020, and I am right there with you- (we were together 40 years) I don't think we will ever "recover".  I am just trying to get to my retirement in 4 years and I am petrified about it.  I hope and pray things will fall into place.  I think of my time with my husband like I think of my childhood, it was another life I had. I was lucky that I never understood depression till now.  It is the monster I am trying to hide from - it grabs me then I pull away.  I am afraid everyday it will eat me up.  I have seen some progress (like I can sleep finally and have gotten my weight back to normal) so I haven't gone to a therapist, (yet!) but I keep that option open.  I hope you have been able to as well, but still don't think I will ever recover.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
BridgetMcSki

I have gone and specially found a bereavement therapist and I trust her. It doesn’t take the pin away but it does provide support. I still can’t believe that time has stopped on May 10th, 2021. I still can’t comprehend that. Someone told me to, “move on” and I bit my tongue so hard. But as my therapist said, there is no timeline. We all have our own way of processing. 

• Like 2

• Members

Missy, It’s been 10 months since my lovely wife passed.  Yes, I can sleep and eat better now, but our worlds were turned upside down.  I have changed my priorities in life, which has helped get “better” and not feel as lost.  Share your pain with others that can empathize. People that say “move on” are idiots, and more than likely haven’t gone through any serious hardships and/or loss. Such people are to be dismissed/ignored/blown-off.  The lost and feeling like you are adrift at sea phase will lessen, but at your rate.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.  

Hugs … Steve 

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Missy1 said:

Does the “lost” phase go away?  

I'm not sure I can answer that.  I keep going one day at a time all these years later but I never had to do that before he died.  There was a sense of comfort, a security in having him with me that I have not felt since.  I just do that I know to do and try not to think too hard about the future, this is all I can handle.  It definitely feels different than it did before.

2 hours ago, BridgetMcSki said:

“move on”

Should not ever be uttered in conjunction with grief/loss!  Extremely inappropriate!  

2 hours ago, june483 said:

I don't think we will ever "recover".

I don't think that's a term I would use either, it's not a bad toothache, it's a life altering event.  How do you "recover" from that?  No, instead you learn to live with it as best as you can.  And that's a tall order.

• Like 4

• Members
jmmosley53

It seems to me that when the world stopped on April 3rd 2020 - that time was forcing me forward.  I had no idea what direction I wanted to take.  I was not afraid, I just didn't have a plan. 

When I left home to go to school I had to reinvent myself.  I needed to learn to live away from my parents, away from my sisters, I was afraid then.

Now I am somewhere in-between becoming a recluse or getting up and doing something to define the new me.

I think I am going to play the whole thing by ear.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
BridgetMcSki

Thank you @Gail 8588 @foreverhis, I feel abandoned, lost, angry and a combination of the feeling of selfishness for wondering at 34 years old how I will get through life alone. I feel empty one minute and then o.k the next. It is just a roller coaster of emotions. Thank you for showing that I will survive. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I've learned to carry my grief

Me too. :wub:

15 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

I don't think I'm at a stage where I feel that it's getting manageable.

It took me much time...years.

• Thanks 2

• Members
On 5/30/2021 at 10:58 AM, Gail 8588 said:

I hope this gives you some hope for the future. 

Thanks Gail - it does and I needed to hear it at this point in time

• Like 2