Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A dear friend sent me this

foreverhis

• Moderators

Yesterday as I was walking I recalled a widow years ago that lived on our street.  She didn't mingle much with others, was alone all the time.  Now I know what it's like to be alone, year in, year out.  I wish I'd reached out to her back then, brightened her lonely existence some, but I had no clue what it was like and I was busy raising my kids.  It's much the same way with grief, we can't know what it's like until we're there.

13 hours ago, widower2 said:

my typical response was to say little if anything, because, like most, I didn't know what to say. 

I think no response says a LOT!  They have to realize they didn't say anything helpful.  Ignore or just out and out tell them, "Inappropriate response."  I've grown moxie after losing George.

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 5/15/2021 at 11:34 AM, KayC said:

Yesterday as I was walking I recalled a widow years ago that lived on our street.  She didn't mingle much with others, was alone all the time.  Now I know what it's like to be alone, year in, year out.  I wish I'd reached out to her back then, brightened her lonely existence some, but I had no clue what it was like and I was busy raising my kids.  It's much the same way with grief, we can't know what it's like until we're there.

Exactly...which is why I suggest people keep this in mind when someone doesn't respond well.

I think no response says a LOT!  They have to realize they didn't say anything helpful.  Ignore or just out and out tell them, "Inappropriate response."  I've grown moxie after losing George.

To be honest, not sure I realized any such thing. Looking back on the time or two that it happened, again I think it was because I just didn't know what to say. Also I think part of it was that it was such an intense topic, and since I obviously couldn't offer any "solution," my instinct was to back away (by saying nothing). Yes, now I can see that such an attitude is stupid and poor - how hard is "I'm so sorry to hear that" or similar - but it's only in hindsight, which is why I suggest people try, as difficult as it is, to exercise patience and understanding if someone doesn't say something, or says something stupid...

• Like 1

• Moderators

IDK, I guess you're a better person than me!  I have no time for such "friends."  Some of the things people say are horrid!

• Members
foreverhis
On 5/14/2021 at 6:56 PM, widower2 said:

Wow. Just wow. Yknow I probably shouldn't admit this, but although I was lucky that no one said something that idiotic to me, at times I almost wish they had, and given me an excuse to rip them a new one...which I know is wrong, but sometimes I just want to lash out so bad at....something. So yeah, make my day. Sorry that you (and countless others no doubt) experienced this though. 

And again wow, but in a totally opposite way. :)  Impressive that you had that wisdom to respond so well. I would not have...when this has come up with others, my typical response was to say little if anything, because, like most, I didn't know what to say. 

It's surprising in a way that so few people did say anything so insensitive to me.  The ones who did were not close to us, so "booting" them from my life wasn't a real loss.  I wasn't mean about it or anything, just didn't re-engage and once said that "our lives are so different now that we really have nothing in common."

As for our best friend's father, I guess I'd had enough life experience by then, including two friends having had late-term miscarriages, that I knew in my heart that I could not fathom someone else's pain.  That was the first time I ever said anything like that and the relief he felt was palpable.  He visibly relaxed for a minute that felt to me like, "Good, I don't have to pretend right now."  He and his wife were close enough friends that John, the girls, and I had been spending Christmas Eves with them and their extended family.  As well, her mom and I got along really well, kind of like our friend got along with my mother.  With no buttons to push and no parent-child history, we had easier relationships with each other's mothers than our own.  We used to joke about that.

• Like 2

• Members

You don't know until you know....just how painful losing your loved one is.    I wish that none of us had to know this deep hurt!!!!

• Like 3