Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

just lost my father, not feeling much sadness

chataround

• Members

My father passed away a couple of weeks ago after a short illness. He was 80. I am in my mid fifties, the older of two children.

My sister is devastated. As for me, all I'm really feeling is a sense of relief. I loved my Dad yet we had a complicated relationship. My sister had a different relationship with him,

an easier one, primarily due to personality.

I have cried very little. I can't say that I miss my father at all. I am incredibly sad when I think of my mother's loss and my sister's, but personally, I feel free.

I feel sad and guilty at my reaction. I know that I loved my father, and that he loved me. I guess I'm concerned that I'm just a terrible daughter and person for feeling like this.

I feel a lot of shame about it.

• Members

Do you think your sense of relief is related to his age and that he didn't have to suffer long? We all grieve differently. Did you get to spend some time with your father before he passed? You may experience different feelings as time goes on. Do not feel shame or guilt. If your father knew you loved him and he loved you then there is nothing feel ashamed about. My father died in April and for a while I experienced some degree of guilt over end of life decisions. And then I realized I was just missing him and bargaining for more time. Hang in there. Wishing you peace. Keep posting- it helps.

My father passed away a couple of weeks ago after a short illness. He was 80. I am in my mid fifties, the older of two children.

My sister is devastated. As for me, all I'm really feeling is a sense of relief. I loved my Dad yet we had a complicated relationship. My sister had a different relationship with him,

an easier one, primarily due to personality.

I have cried very little. I can't say that I miss my father at all. I am incredibly sad when I think of my mother's loss and my sister's, but personally, I feel free.

I feel sad and guilty at my reaction. I know that I loved my father, and that he loved me. I guess I'm concerned that I'm just a terrible daughter and person for feeling like this.

I feel a lot of shame about it.

Archived