Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A word about "liking" posts

widower2

• Moderators

I doubt anyone cares about this, but FYI I'm not always as consistent as I could or should be about "liking" posts which merit it (i.e. almost all of the posts here). There can be various reasons for this which have nothing to do with the post: I'm going through a thread and get interrupted and don't get back to clicking the rest of the posts I like, or it's late and I'm about to sign off, so I will get back to it but don't, I'm tired of clicking "like" on a bunch of posts even though I should, etc etc etc. I guess I'm feeling paranoid here and I doubt anyone is losing sleep going "OMG WIDOWER2 DIDN'T LIKE MY POST" :)  but just a FWIW. 

• Members

I don't mind if people don't flag my post with a like.  I am usually surprised if anyone reacts at all.

I think the idea of this site was to receive and offer support to people going through the same difficulties in grief as I go through..  There are no score cards that I know of.

But I love that you worry about other people's feelings.

• Moderators

I don't notice if people "like" my post or not because I don't go back and check to see...

I usually try to acknowledge people with one but once in a while I cannot "like" one as I'm in disagreement with what was said!  That said, that doesn't mean at all if I didn't give someone a "like" that I didn't  agree with their post, because often I also get interrupted, or lost in my train of thought and busy responding and FORGET to go back and acknowledge them.  We're human.  We shouldn't put too much stock on what others think/do and focus on what WE think/do!

• Members

I'm the same way you are, widower2.  I am certain that no one really cares if I do or don't "like" (or whichever emoji) their posts, but most often I'm more into the content and conversation and don't really think about it.  And if others "like" my posts, terrific; if not, that's fine too.  Thank goodness we're here for something other than collecting "friends" or "likes."  The support and comfort I receive is worth far more than that. 

• Members

I am both new to this forum and new to social media so the idea of "liking" a post is a bit foreign to me. I presume it means that we are wanting to reach out and provide a little support or a "virtual hug" or some such without necessarily writing a reply as well - is that close?  I would hate to think we needed "likes" to validate our feelings of sadness, loss, and being lost or our efforts at and accomplishments of growth or healing.

• Members
foreverhis
20 minutes ago, PSG said:

I presume it means that we are wanting to reach out and provide a little support or a "virtual hug" or some such without necessarily writing a reply as well - is that close? 

As I see and understand it, you are right on the money.  It's a little, "I hear you. I'm thinking about you." so that a member won't feel forgotten.  When I think about it and want to acknowledge that I've read something, but I don't have anything to add by way of a post (or I just don't have the energy to write), then I'll go to the "Like" options and select the one closest to how I feel.

• Moderators

And true to form I'm behind on "liking" the posts here lol :)  Frankly I'd just as soon the whole "liking" bit went away on all social media, bur whatever. IMO if you like what someone says enough, you can just say so in a reply if you want. 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, PSG said:

I would hate to think we needed "likes" to validate our feelings

Yet it can help to know someone actually read it.

• Members
foreverhis
12 hours ago, KayC said:

Yet it can help to know someone actually read it.

That's how I think about the like, etc. emojis.  Just a little, "I'm here and I heard you."

Archived