Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I haven’t spoke to my father in 6 years and he died this year

Suzanneoleary

• Members
Suzanneoleary

So I haven’t spoke to my father in 6 years and this week he died. I don’t really know what to feel or what to say. All these years i had hope that we would somehow connect and he would call me or something but he didn’t. And i would lie if i said I didn’t thing of texting him but I didn’t and when i found out about his death it hurt me so much. The guilt and pain i felt is indescribable and I don’t know how to deal with it. I don’t know if anyone felt the same thing but if someone did i know how it feels and you are not alone. 

• Members

Dear Suzanne,

I am sorry for your loss. Please know you are not alone in your thoughts and feelings. No matter what type of relationship we had with our parents it is still very hard to lose them. 

Like you, it was  shock. I too thought I would one day be able to talk with my dad and get to him know more or somehow understand each other better. But once he passed away it was all taken from me. 

We all handle grief differently and there is no right way or wrong way. It takes time to work through the grief. I also found additional supports at these websites.

What's Your Grief

Grief in Common

Grief Healing Blog

My thoughts are with you.

• Members
SconnieGal

Suzanne,

I wanted to echo what the other person who responded said. You are not alone. 

My father passed away on Sunday. He and I hadn’t spoken in almost a year.  That guilt feels all consuming. And I begin to think of many “what if’s”. 

I think with a complicated history with someone comes complicated emotions. 

You are not along though. 

❤️ 

Archived