Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I’m still in denial

bradwurd

• Members

Here is my story

I am 21 years old as of January 6th, 2021 and my dad was diagnosed with CLL (a type of leukemia) around a year or two ago. It shattered me knowing my dad was going to deal with this and have to fight it. It ate at me everyday and I just knew he was going to go eventually. I watched him slowly get weaker and weaker until he decided to finally get on a type of pill treatment. He was sleeping a lot and very lethargic but I saw the life coming back to him. December 19ish my parents brought me into the living room saying how the treatment is working and my father had the potential and was beating his cancer. My smile never left my face that day and I believed my life was going to be better seeing how big he smiled telling me that he was gonna be okay and I believed him. The very next day I heard my mother scream and I run out to my father completely tense and I had to carry him to our living room floor and give him cpr waiting for the paramedics to come. I literally watched my father die in my arms after having the best day of my life thinking he was going to be okay. Sudden cardiac arrest killed him and it’s been 4 months and I still can’t even comprehend that he’s gone and I’ve had to stay strong for everyone but I honestly don’t know if I can anymore. I’ve had no time to grieve due to being an engineering major and being swamped with homework all day everyday and having to be strong for my little brother and my mom. I don’t have anyone to talk to except my girlfriend and I don’t feel comfortable doing it because I need to be strong. Someone please help me

• Members
MollieMcDoodlesMom

Dear Brad - 

I was just reading your post concerning the passing of your beloved Dad. I am sending my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. Please know that someone cares about you 3 and I want to offer some free reading material to help you as you face the days ahead. I realize everyone handles grief differently, there is information that can benefit your mom too. I just want your permission first. There are two links and one of them can be listened to also. 

My dad died when I was about 12 yrs old from congestive heart failure. I don’t always express myself well, but I remember how painful that day was. You are on my mind this morning. 

I hope to get permission to send the links.

With Sincere Condolences,

Frances

• Members

Dear Brad,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is understandable to feel like you can't talk to anyone and you have to be strong for your family and girlfriend. But please know it's normal to feel as you do after losing your beloved father. It's devastating. 

I know you mentioned you're an engineering student. I wonder if the university might have some counselling services. It's important to talk to someone and have support during this sad and difficult time. I also found support at these websites:

Grief in Common - it has online counselling and support groups

Grief Share

Grief Healing Blog

What's Your Grief

My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Members

Hi Brad,

I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. A wonderful father holds a special place in your heart and the emptiness it leaves in its place when they are physically no longer here is unbearable.

It is admirable that you want to be the strong one. I know I was that person when my Mum passed especially for my Dad and siblings. Now my Dad has gone it has become too much as I don’t think I dealt with my Mum’s sudden passing properly. Make sure you take time for you to process this in whatever way works for you. If you are in a loving relationship with your girlfriend she would want you to be vulnerable and be able to support you. A partnership is about holding the other one up when they are struggling to do it themselves and that is ok. Finding a grief counsellor that works for you is also a great option. 

Be kind to yourself. 

• Members

Dear brad 

I am so sorry first of all. I understand. I lost my dad. Not to the same thing but I lost my mom to cancer. So In some weird way I do understand. I understand how hard it is. Your not alone. I’m not going to lie it’s hard but we can do this. Promise 

Archived