Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My friend lost both of his parents today... How can I offer him the best support possible ?

Aziz

• Members
One of my best friend's parents just died today. I heard the news about an hour ago and I am still in total disbielif. Now all that matters to me is offering the best support possible for my friend. I never had anyone that I was very close to die and I cannot begin to imagine what he must be feeling right now. Therefore, I don't know how to offer the best help. If anyone have gone through something like this or knows someone that has or thinks he could be of any help please give me some advices. I want to be by his side but want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

This was probably very poorly structured sorry but my brain isn't working how it should today and english is my 3rd language.

• Members

Hi Aziz,

What a great friend you are reaching out to a place like this to help support your friend. I cannot even imagine what they are going through. It has been difficult enough for me losing my parents within 4 years of each other almost to the day.

My advice, just be there. Send your friend messages of comfort and just let them know you are around if they need you. Don’t forget about them after the funeral. This is a very difficult time and when many people become busy with their own lives (understandably). Don’t be offended if they do not respond to your messages or answer your calls. Offer to be there in any way they need. They might not want to see people. They might want to be around people. Each person is different. 

After my Mum passed a friend of mine dropped a box on my doorstep. In it was tissues, chocolate, lollies, chips, a pen and new notebook. It was a very thoughtful gift and let me know that she cared. 

Just be there. 

Archived