Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Progress

BEQUET93

• Members

I think I am making progress! Last week, I had my first birthday, since losing my mother.  I was born in 1975 and, at that time, fathers in the delivery room wasn't really a thing, so, aside from medical staff, she was the only person with me, when I first entered the world and she was there for my first 45 birthdays, so the thought of being without her for the 46th had me feeling melancholic, but the day went better than expected. I stayed home from work and opened the gifts that I bought for myself. For my 5th birthday, I got a Timex Snoopy watch that I wore until I was so old the other kids made fun of me for it, so it became a birthday tradition for my mother to get a new watch for me, so I bought a watch and some clothes of the sort she always picked out for me. I looked at family photos and sat in her sewing room. One of her favorite treats was to get a Whopper Jr. and eat in the car, so she could people-watch. I hadn't been to Burger King, since before her diagnosis, but I want there, parked in our regular spot, and ate a Whopper Jr. I was sure to get extra ketchup, because she always said that "french fries aren't french fries, without plenty of ketchup." That evening, my sister and nieces brought pizza and a cake and we had a good time. There's still work to be done, but I now more than ever feel certain that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Life can't possibly be what it was before, but that day showed me that I can manage and feel okay. My best to everyone :)

• Members

Bequet,

Thank you for sharing. What a lovely way to spend your birthday while still honouring your Mum.
Btw... Happy belated birthday. 

Archived