Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How to support someone dating with grief

DES Alex

• Members

I’m here for a friend I’m who just Loss her dad 2/17 and I know it’s hard. We started dating the week her dad went into hospital and I just want to be there for her. I want to understand and support her through this However I can..

she does like to talk about it and tries to avoid it so I don’t bring it up but I want her to know in here and if crying is needed I will cry with her because even tho I have my parents the thought of me losing them saddens me...

I see and feel she’s hurting so bad. How can I help without hovering because we are on pause of getting to know one another or we learning each other in a difficulties but I just want to help get in anyway I can and she has a child which makes it even harder. 

• Members

DES Alex,

Your friend is lucky to have someone like you looking out for her. You just need to be there and be guided by her on what she needs. If she wants to sit in silence, let her. If she wants to cry, let her. Tell her that you are there for her. Hug her after she cries. If there are things that help her find her way then support her with that. If it is journaling, buy her a journal to write in. If it is taking walks everyday, offer to go with her. 

When we see someone that we love hurting we want to fix it for them. Unfortunately, grief is not something you can fix. It is a journey we have to go through to navigate our way. It changes you forever inside. 

Just remember that this is life changing for her. It is not something she will get over in a short space of time. She has an arrow through her heart. It will take time, 

• Members

Thank you so much. I been doin such. I can only imagine the thoughts, emotions, and feelings she going through and you all. I just want to be as much support as she needs. I truly appreciate your advice because I know I can’t fix it which is hard for me to just see her hurt.. So I just want to make sure I’m on the right track by just allowing her to be and I be supportive.. Thanks again and if you need to just chat as well hey I’m all for it too..

Archived