Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my dad unexpectedly

Morgaan

• Members

I’m 25 and I lost my dad last year unexpectedly and I don’t really have the support from most of my family and I’m really struggling on most days. I have friends to talk to but I don’t want to be a burden. I just feel stuck. 

• Members

I am 21 and I too lost my Dad unexpectedly (only 11 days ago). Everyone keeps saying time is a healer but I am not convinced - the only thing helping currently is speaking to people in the same boat and acknowledging just how rubbish it is. Knowing the people I am speaking too have been (or are going through a similar thing) makes me feel like less of a burden!

• Members

Even though friends might not understand what you are going through, I don't think relying on them for support makes a person a burden. Talking about loss helps, even if it will never make the pain completely go away. The way I look at it is that I would want to help them if they were in my boat and I know they want to help me, exactly because we are friends. Still, if talking to your friends about your respective losses is something you don't want to do, please continue to share with the forum. Everyone here can relate, in some way, and it can be helpful. I have been visiting this site, since late November, and it has done me a world of good. I wish the best for the both of you.

• Members

Morgaan,

I am so sorry you are going through this. I lost my Mum suddenly 4 years ago to a brain aneurysm. A sudden loss is difficult in that often there are things left unsaid. I found writing my Mum a letter helped me. 

Like Bequet said, your friends (true friends) will want to help you. They will not be scared to sit with you as you cry and often cry with you. Going through something like this really shows you who you can rely on. 

I wish I had some words of wisdom. I can tell you that the pain does get less intense but in my experience does not go away. Just the other day I followed a lady through the shopping centre because she looked like my Mum and it has been 4 years. Of course, when she turned around she looked nothing like my Mum. To have one more hug, chat, meal together. If only we could.

Please remember. You are not alone. People on this forum understand. They get you. They are living it too. 

• Members

Dear Morgaan,

Please know we are with you. I know many grievers feel lonely and don't want to burden friends and family with their strong feelings, but it's okay to share how you are feeling.

I know it's hard with the pandemic but I hope you can find some additional supports in the community or through church. I also found these websites helpful:

What's Your Grief

Grief in Common

Grief Healing Blog

Grief Share

Archived