Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Depression/Anxiety

will402

• Members

Hello guy this is my first post, im struggling right now

Is it normal to feel anxious and or depressed without actually thinking about your loss? I dont think about my loss all the time yet I still remain depressed

Reading the stages I totally understand the feelings of depression and anxiety are normal, its just I dont feel like they attached to the thoughts of my loss. Anyone have this problem?

Thanks Will

• Members

I was having a similar problem of feeling down and tired all of the time whether I was thinking about my father or not. And then I started having excessive thoughts about some of the things surrounding his death. I was out with my husband and all of a sudden pictured him dying in the hospital and started crying. I was having trouble enjoying my life, and it had been 4 months. So I finally went and talked to someone and am taking a half dose of Lexapro (mild antidepressant) for while. I do feel a lot better. I don't have obsessive thoughts, I am enjoying the things I did before again, and I am able to think about my dad without crying uncontrollably. I think we all deal with this differently, and I know you must be going through a very tough time. But we are here to listen to you (about anything) and offer you support. Wishing you peace and hope...

Is it normal to feel anxious and or depressed without actually thinking about your loss? I dont think about my loss all the time yet I still remain depressed

Reading the stages I totally understand the feelings of depression and anxiety are normal, its just I dont feel like they attached to the thoughts of my loss. Anyone have this problem?

Thanks Will

• Members

Thanks Will

Hi Will,

Do you have other issues or stress that you are dealing with? How recent is your loss? When did your depression and anxiety start? Could it be related to loneliness from your loss?

I would say that many are having this particular issue, so please don't feel like you are the only one. You can come here to talk about this. We will be here for you.

ModKonnie

• Members

Yes, in the sense that losing someone close generally causes PTSD. It is a trauma, especially a loss of a parent, so what you're feeling is pretty common. It becomes even more complicated if you had turmoil in your relationship with your deceased loved one. Good luck, and I'm sorry about your loss.

• Members

24 yrs and still suffering....help please

Hi Will,

Do you have other issues or stress that you are dealing with? How recent is your loss? When did your depression and anxiety start? Could it be related to loneliness from your loss?

I would say that many are having this particular issue, so please don't feel like you are the only one. You can come here to talk about this. We will be here for you.

ModKonnie

• Members

24 yrs and still suffering....help please

Wiccacat,

If you still feel the same anxiety and depression after 24 years that you first felt when you experienced your loss, it is obvious that you may have not processed through your grief. I would strongly suggest you may want to consider a grief support group or a grief counselor to help you figure out why you haven't moved forward.

Do you have other issues compounding your feelings about your loss, such as health problems, work issues, economic problems? Have you tried to reach out to others? Do you keep a journal?

It's okay. We will help you work through this. Can you share your story?

ModKonnie

• Members

hey guys, thanks for all the replys, no one tells you how tough it is losing someone.

Its been about 11 months and to be fair I think I have only just started to open up to the loss, as I was living away from the family home after the death.

But i have returned this summer and then the anxiety has come forward. I do find myself getting more upset than I ever have but I find it a relief to get the emotion out.

I guess im just trying to fix everything rather than just let it happen.

Im 21 aswel so I guess its the first major loss I have had. She was only 49

• Members

Hey,

It's so sad when you lose a parent at a young age. My mom was only 56, so I feel your pain on that one. You said you thought you were trying to fix everything rather than letting things happen. Is this what your role in your relationship with your loved one was like? I mean, were/are you the "strong" one in the family who fixed/fixes everything? If so, this could say a lot about your grief. If you were the caretaker, and that was a role you were used to, it makes sense that you would feel extra anxiety because this is no longer a role you can fulfill. As I said in my previous post, losing someone close generally causes PTSD no matter what the relationship was like. I don't personally know you, so I can only make guesses as to what may be causing your complicated grief. It seems pretty normal to develop these feelings after such a huge loss, though. I hope things improve for you.

Archived