Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I wouldn't want my partner to have gone through this

Gail 8588

• Members

I feel my partner was also better equipped and more resilient than I am. He lost his son 4 years before we met and didnt speak much about it, I never saw him grieve. He said photos were too painful and tucked them away. He was strong and silent type about all the adversity he faced.  He kept a positive outlook which always had a way of cheering me up when I was down and a great sense of humor. I wonder how he would handle it if the situation were reversed. Ive noticed it seems men are quicker to find new mates so I wonder if he would have found someone else by 2.5 years out.

• Like 4

• Members

I do not know how my husband would dealt with my death.  He never wanted to talk about stuff like that and would joke around or avoid answering such questions.  

It is so hard to tell, I know that my husband was much better at compartmentalizing than I am.  But I also know he felt hurts very deeply.  

I would not want him to suffer at all, not even for a minute.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I suppose this is different for everyone but I do feel it would have been harder on George because of a lot of factors I don't care to go into but that said, it sure doesn't make it any easier on us!

• Like 3

• Members
5 hours ago, KayC said:

I suppose this is different for everyone but I do feel it would have been harder on George because of a lot of factors I don't care to go into but that said, it sure doesn't make it any easier on us!

I feel the same way about Chong.  Like you said KayC, it certainly doesn’t make it any easier.

• Like 3

• Members

Mark and any other widowers who took offense, 

Sorry, no offense was intended.  I actually agree with you that this is not a gender based difference.  I just think in some couples there is one person who is more resilient by nature than the other person.  In many relationships, the 2 parties may have very balanced coping/resiliency skills. 

In my marriage, I think John was a stronger person than I in many ways.  His faith was always stronger than mine. He was a big picture guy - focused more on what his role was in helping humanity and healing the earth.  My focus was always on how I could help him. I do think he would have grieved my death deeply, (we were a really good team) but he would have still seen his purpose in life continued.  

I also recognize this is sort of debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  I didn't die first.  No one will ever know how John would have responded to my death.

I guess this sort of looks like I am holding a pity party - "oh poor pitiful me. This has been so much harder on me than it would have been on him."

But I don't really mean it that way.  I have always thought John was stronger than I.  Many decades ago, John and I took the Florida Bar exam  at the same time.  In those years 50% of the people taking the bar failed at least one of the three sections of the exam. I shared with him (after we knew that we both passed)  that during the exam and waiting for the results, I prayed to God that if one of us had to fail a section, let it be John - he could take it better than I could. He just laughed and kissed me and said I was probably right, but that he never thought either of us would fail. 

He lived with so much confidence and determination, I felt and still feel, he could overcome any setback, even my death.  I don't see that as implying that he was any less devoted to me than I was to him.  Nor do I believe that it would always be the woman that is less resilient. It depends on the characteristics of the individual people. 

Gail

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Mark loves Sandra said:

There seems to be a perception that males recover faster, or are better able to manage the loss, or somehow just deal with it better.

I do NOT feel this way, if anything I think it's harder for men to deal with emotionally.  They may be able to better survive taking care of a place on their own, but emotionally?  They aren't raised/taught in our society to do emotion.  5% of women and 12% of bereaved men remarry

https://www.onlyyouforever.com/remarriage-after-bereavement/#:~:text=Overall rates of remarriage are,women doing so[vi].

But rather than generalize something that is so individual, I think it depends upon the individual involved.  So much comes into play!  I am more used to dealing with finances, making decisions, George definitely had a lot of emotion but was best able to talk with ME about them than his friends.He could figure things out as far as caring for the place whereas I've had to hire a lot done.  He couldn't cook.  He'd have lived on eggs, grilled cheese, and takeout, hardly healthy.  And he would have been so alone!  Not that I wasn't!  But I am able to reach out in my loneliness (until Covid).  He would have found his way here and he was big on forums for learning/expressing.  Perhaps I'm wrong about him, perhaps he would have survived just fine...but I doubt it.

• Like 1

• Members
50 minutes ago, JohnB said:

But all we can do is try to find a path forward, however we can.

You are absolutely right JohnB. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  Steve

• Like 3

• Moderators

Part of my thinking was formed by my FIL when my MIL (his wife of 40 years) died of cancer.  One month later he was declaring his love for another woman!  Our family was reeling!  This woman was his companion the rest of his life, many years.

To his credit, he'd been going through anticipatory grief for three years.  It seems he sought to rebuild his life and did not want to be alone.  He never told this woman he loved her, never lived with her, and she was a wonderful woman, but still, it was hard in the beginning and to me she never took the place of my MIL, who was my "mom" and best friend.  But we did grow to love her and accept her as part of his life.

A man can be very lonely.  Maybe that's why the Bible says "It's not good for a man to be alone."  Hmm, it doesn't feel that way much for a woman either.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

LMR, I sincerely hope your pain lessens and that you can get beyond sitting and waiting.  That being said, I totally understand what you are feeling.  There are times that I feel that I’m simply going through the motions. Other times, I can have some pretty good days. At this point in my grief journey, I’ve been reflecting on how I can reduce those “going through the motions” days. My wife wouldn’t want me to live in a constant state of depression.  She sacrificed a lot in helping me get through leukemia.  She would want me live a life that is as fulfilling as possible.  I’m sure your husband would want the same for you. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
8 hours ago, LMR said:

My whole life now is like I'm just sitting waiting.

LMR, I totally understand this feeling. Since my wife passed away, life just doesn't have that same spark. I try and keep busy by working and maintaining the house, but the emptiness is always there no matter what I do. Like you, I'm just biding my time until I can be reunited with my wife. That's all I long for.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, LMR said:

My husband had said to me on a few occasions that if anything happened to me he would kill himself. That he couldn't live without me. He might not have taken drastic action he would probably have just quit looking after himself, quit taking his meds and let go. 

If he is watching me now he won't be feeling much different seeing how badly I am coping without him. He must be really sad. I don't want him to be hurting like that but I just don't know how to be any other way. I try, but I miss him so much. My whole life now is like I'm just sitting waiting.

You are doing your best, that's all you can do.  I've told my sister she is committing passive suicide, not putting a gun to her head, just not taking care of herself, not addressing medical issues even though they're part of our genes in our family.  She agreed.  :(

• Like 3

• Members

LMR, you have everything to offer:). Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. 

Hugs back at ya:)!

• Like 3

• Members

LMR, your presence on this forum helps out a lot of us, including me. That's one of the best offers you can give. Many hugs to you as well.

• Like 4

• Moderators
20 hours ago, LMR said:

I have nothing to offer to help others as I am just floundering around.

And that is okay.  You are right where you can be expected to be.  You help us all just by showing up, being here.  (((hugs)))

• Like 3

• Moderators

Sometimes we make promises we think we'll be able to keep, but life takes that ability from us.

• Like 1

• Members
foreverhis
On 3/17/2021 at 9:15 AM, KayC said:

You are doing your best, that's all you can do.  I've told my sister she is committing passive suicide, not putting a gun to her head, just not taking care of herself, not addressing medical issues even though they're part of our genes in our family.  She agreed.  :(

Argh!  This is what ended up happening to our best friend's dad.  Nothing any of us did helped over time.  Nothing she said to him or the ways she and her brother and the rest of the family tried to get him to at least take steps forward made the slightest difference.  And so he died just a few years later from untreated medical conditions.  Our friend was pretty angry with him that he couldn't even find it in himself to stick around to see his grandchildren grow up for a while, even as she understood that half his life, the best part of it, was missing and so his heart and life had shattered.  It was so hard to watch and harder still to accept that none of us could make those decisions for him.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 3/12/2021 at 10:06 PM, Sparky1 said:

My wife had a lot of limitations at the end. Even though she would have been financially well off because of my death, she would have struggled. I only keep wishing that we had gone together at the same time.

I feel the same way, still wish we should have gone together...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

My husband didn't even want to talk about retirement yet, he felt he was too busy living and too young...we'd begun an IRA but honestly never thought he'd be taken barely 51.  We had bought the porch swing to "grow old together on."  We enjoyed watching the hummingbirds and deer come while we sat together on it.

• Like 3

• Members

Beau, 

I am so very sorry for your loss.  It is certainly the wrong order.  You, your wife, and your son should have had many decades to share. 

In the years to come, you will have the chance to share with your son what a wonderful woman his mom was and how much she loved him. 

I hope you have family and friends you can lean on for support. Come here to vent whenever you need to.  This is so unfair. 

Gail

• Like 4