Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Crying

Sparky1

• Members

Here is an article I got from my daily grief message. I hope it's okay, if it's too long I will edit it. There's no link it's part of an email message.

It seems crying "makes nine out of 10 people feel better, reduces stress, and may help to keep the body healthy. It's also free, available to almost everyone, and has no known side effects, other than wet tissues, red eyes and runny makeup. Crying may not be a blockbuster drug, but the latest research suggests it's highly effective at healing, and that it improves the mood of 88.8 per cent of weepers, with only 8.4 per cent feeling worse. So beneficial is it that the researchers suggest there may be a case for inducing crying in those who find it difficult to let go."

The author also shares some fascinating statistics about crying.

• 20% of bouts of crying last longer than 30 minutes
  • 8% go on for longer than one hour
  • 70% of criers make no attempt to hide their crying
  • 77% of crying takes place at home
  • 15% at work or in the car
  • 40% of people weep alone
  • 39% of crying occurs in the evening
  • 6-8pm is the most common time for crying

According to the "recovery theory," emotional tears may be a way of getting the body back in balance after a stressful event. The author shares the opinion of William Frey, a professor at the University of Minnesota: "I have suggested that we may feel better after crying because we are literally crying it out. Chemicals that build up during emotional stress may be removed in our tears when we cry. Because unalleviated stress can increase our risk for heart attack and damage certain areas of our brain, the human ability to cry has survival value."

"Perhaps our eyes need to be washed by our tears once in a while, so that we can see Life with a clearer view again." ~ Alex Tan

• Members

Crying is good, sometimes I notice I stop myself when I feel it coming. I don't know why, I know it's healthy but I'd rather not... I cry everyday .. maybe not as often as I would/should have to

• Members

I cry every day.  Some times for a minute or two, other times I sob for 30 minutes then fall asleep.  Some days I just feel weepy and walk around on the verge of tears all day.

I do hate the puffy eyes, the dark circles under my eyes, and a stuffed up nose all the time. 

It is an interesting read to google tear glands and how they work, there are different kinds of tears.  Like reflex tears when you cut an onion, tears of joy, tears because the sun is in your eyes, and tears because you are grieving.

Archived