Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I can’t get over the loss of my cat

Diamond16

• Members

It was on December 7 2019 when I woke up to my cat crying outside very loudly and weird . He was the most sweetest , kindest , funniest most handsome boy cat ever . I go outside and he’s bleeding from his mouth and I didn’t know what to do and I feel so guilty . I was alone at home and I called my parents they were at work and I tried to carry him but he would just cry louder I didn’t know if he was hurt poisoned or what . I saw him breathe his last breaths and it was. Just so heartbreaking I can’t get over it and I’m still crying about it . I need people who can understand me cause it seem my family is over it and get mad when I still cry about him 

• Members

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss. My cat passed away over three years ago (kind of in an awful way like yours) and I still miss him and my heart is still broken over his final hours. 

You definitely came to the right place, everyone here understands. And, don't bother trying to have your family understand. They didn't experience what you did which was traumatic and they don't get the connection you had.  

• Moderators

I am so sorry...I lost my 25 year old cat Jan. 6, 2020, after losing my dog Arlie a few months before.  I know of nothing more devastating.  People want us to "be over it" because that's what makes THEM more comfortable, but this isn't about them, it's about us and our relationship and grief.  Grief has a beginning but not an ending, although it can evolve and change form over the course of our journey.  I hope you will read the following as I feel it's pertinent:
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2012/10/a-bill-of-rights-for-grieving-animal.html
 I hope ttis short video brings you thoughts of comfort and peace:  
The Rainbow Bridge

• Members
4 hours ago, AJWCat said:

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss. My cat passed away over three years ago (kind of in an awful way like yours) and I still miss him and my heart is still broken over his final hours. 

You definitely came to the right place, everyone here understands. And, don't bother trying to have your family understand. They didn't experience what you did which was traumatic and they don't get the connection you had.  

Thank you so much I didn’t think anybody was going to reply 

I’m so sorry for your loss , my baby was so beautiful and big 

thank you for your kind words 

2 hours ago, KayC said:

I am so sorry...I lost my 25 year old cat Jan. 6, 2020, after losing my dog Arlie a few months before.  I know of nothing more devastating.  People want us to "be over it" because that's what makes THEM more comfortable, but this isn't about them, it's about us and our relationship and grief.  Grief has a beginning but not an ending, although it can evolve and change form over the course of our journey.  I hope you will read the following as I feel it's pertinent:
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2012/10/a-bill-of-rights-for-grieving-animal.html
 I hope ttis short video brings you thoughts of comfort and peace:  
The Rainbow Bridge

Hello , I’m so sorry for both of your losses , you really understand me with your words 

tgabk you for the comfort and the video and information you shared with her it really helped 

• Members

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You have found the right place to find support. So many people here helped me when I needed it the most. I still tear up when I think of the beautiful kitties I've lost. Losing our little ones is never easy but it is especially awful when the end is traumatic like you experienced. We eternally second guess ourselves, blame ourselves, and the regrets over choices we made can haunt us for years. The image of them dying can linger for years, if not a lifetime. It does get easier but it never truly goes away. I will be fine for awhile and then something will remind me of them and it can feel like I've lost them all over again. It makes it even harder to cope when the people in our lives don't understand why we're still so sad, why we still cry, why we're still heartbroken. All of us here all shared a special bond with our fur babies and it's impossible to explain to anyone who has never felt that. But you will find the kindness and support and love you need here. It's a safe place and I've never once felt like I had to hide my true feelings.

I hope you can find the peace you deserve,

Biscuit's Dad

• Members

Thank you so much !! i am still very heartbroken and everything you just said I felt it when I lost my baby boy . I can’t believed I witnessed it and I froze 

but your words have really helped me a lot and I will keep on embracing his memory 

thank you so much 

• Members

I'm so very sorry to read about your loss, so heartbreaking. This is a lovely place to talk, to say how you feel and be assured that we understand. It has helped me greatly since my boy Goldie passed 5 weeks ago. Nothing prepares us for the loss of our furry companions, I knew I  Ioved him but this has been so awful. I've been over things many times in my head, and still am. Seems its a natural process, so if you feel you have to talk things over there is always someone here to talk to. Thinking of you. 

• Moderators

It can help to memorialize them in some way.  I wrote their memories here, ordered headstones, still have their things.

• Members

I can’t believe I’m writing this but I’ve had another loss ... after the first tragic loss I got 2 male brothers , and after 1 year I had to make the decision to put one of them down because he had Sever anemia and there was no gaurantee he was going to make it , and I feel so guilty cause I couldn’t afford to pay for transfusions or anything .. I haven’t healed from the first one when this happened just this morning .. I am speechless and in shock it still hasn’t hit me 

• Moderators

Transfusions?  I used to work for a doctor's office and they gave Vit. B-12 shots to people with anemia, when my sister was dying in the hospital her doctors "didn't think of it" so I told her to ask them for one, they gave it to her and she got well!  I wonder if that might not work with animals as well.

I know it's common to feel guilt following loss, we wish we could save them from anything that ails them but unfortunately don't always have the resources and it IS a real consideration, unfortunately, everything is so expensive!  I took Kodie to the vet yesterday for his immunizations, not expecting it to come to $360.00!  They discovered an inner ear infection and also left him with flea treatment for six months (he's never had fleas).  He threw up the worming medicine as he did last year and yes he'd eaten beforehand, his usual food,  he can't tolerate it.  Will not bother redoing it, it'd just have the same results.

Vets are not my favorite people, the James Herriotts of this world are no more.

I am so sorry you're facing yet another loss!  It is so hard, so unfair.  I, too have had too many such losses.  :(

Archived