Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Just signed up for online grief counseling.. Not sure if it’s what I should be doing

Rashell

• Members

It’s only been 3 days since he died, Im just not sure what to do. I know I need to talk to someone, and I feel like i’m crazy for talking about him every single second to people that didn’t know him, but knew of him. I don’t know if I should be trying to sign up for counseling right now, it feels really fast, but I am trying anything that might help. I feel guilty, like I’m doing these things to just get over it, but that’s not what my intentions are. Is this too soon to talk to a grief counselor? 

• Moderators

No, it's not too soon, but it can take a while to get an appt. and you might go with what they suggest, I think I started at two weeks or so maybe.  My first one was horrid, if you get one you don't click with, try another, don't worry about their feelings, YOU are what matters and you need to come first in this journey!:wub:

• Moderators

15 hours ago, rkligerman said:

It’s only been 3 days since he died, Im just not sure what to do. I know I need to talk to someone, and I feel like i’m crazy for talking about him every single second to people that didn’t know him, but knew of him. I don’t know if I should be trying to sign up for counseling right now, it feels really fast, but I am trying anything that might help. I feel guilty, like I’m doing these things to just get over it, but that’s not what my intentions are. Is this too soon to talk to a grief counselor? 

My two cents: 

1. I'm so sorry for your loss.
2. You are absolutely not crazy, despite being in an insane situation. 
3. You should not feel guilty for doing something, anything, to help alleviate the searing anguish you are dealing with. It's never too soon to talk to someone. Why would it be? That's to me like saying "I just broke my collarbone. Is it too soon to see a doctor?"  You kidding? 
4.  Doing so doesn't mean you're "getting over it," which to me implies you will stop missing him or feeling that pain. FYI that will never go away. But the silver lining is that realistically, though it never goes away, it DOES improve with time. Considerably. The waves that crash around you will gradually dissipate into something much more manageable. it just take way more time than we want it to. 

• Members

Dad died a month ago and since then its been a shotgun approach for grief relive. Therapy, zoom meetings, on-line chats, books etc all help a bit. For me just the process of on-line searches was therapeutic. Grief is personal-go with what feel good and right for you.

Archived