Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

No joy in living

LoveNeverDies

• Members
LoveNeverDies

It was 2 weeks ago today when I heard him take his last breath. When my life changed forever. I find no joy in my life anymore, no purpose. The weight of everything is just too much to handle.I’ve been out of work for 3 weeks , at first because I was sick with a cold, and because of COVID I had be symptom free for 72 hours before returning . Then he passed away, I’m so broken. I have credit card company suing me and a shut off notice for my electricity. I can’t handle life anymore 

• Moderators

I am so sorry, I wish I were there to hug you  Have you called the elec. company and asked if there are any low income assistance?  Also check with senior and disabled to see what services there are, or Dept. of Health & Human Services.  Have you explained that your husband just died?  You may have to file bankruptcy on the credit card company and head them off at the pass.  Do you have a job?

Try not to give up, I know it's all daunting!  Tackle what you can, write a list to do and prioritize, leaving what will wait.  Income may be priority, so if you don't have work, that might be first.  There's an organization here called Womenspace, not sure if you have anything like that there or not but would be good to ask around, they help women displaced with loss of spouse, often abusers/divorce but I'd think death would be a qualifier too, it's about losing your spouse/income and needing help.  Have you asked local churches for help catching up your utilities?  I'd call around, our church does that for locals.

• Members

I'm so sorry for your loss - yes, your life is changed forever. Your grief is so new; It's a little over 2 months for me, but I remember have the feelings you are experiencing. Then to have financial difficulties on top of it is just not right. I think it's way too soon to think about what your purpose in life is now that your partner is gone. I'm trying to figure it out myself - just getting through the days and developing a routine is enough for now. (((Hugs)))

• Members

LoveNeverDies: Check this out - New Hampshire HEAP

http://www.liheap.us/new-hampshire-heap/

And, as KayC said, call the electric company to ask about assistance programs.  Your profile says you're in NH. Some cold-winter states have laws or policies forbidding utility shutoffs in the winter. It looks like NH does -- but maybe only if it's used for heating: https://www.puc.nh.gov/Consumer/winterdisconnectionrules.htm

Are you active on social media (facebook, twitter, etc.)?  Consider establishing a GoFundMe and promoting it to your social media followers.  You set a GoFundMe goal and GoFundMe sends you a check for contributions every month (week?). You might also check with some agencies (United Way, Salvation Army, etc.).

You may have to rely on bankruptcy to get out from under the credit card. Talk to a bankruptcy attorney--most offer a free initial consultation.  Bankruptcy is really not a big deal (hell, our president declared something like 6 bankruptcies and brags about it).  I declared bankruptcy some years ago and credit card companies were sending me applications within a year.

• Moderators

Absolutely!  I was going to recommend you or a friend does that for you!  Put it on FB so it gets a lot of coverage.  Make sure everyone knows you've lost your husband and don't want to lose your power, etc.  OR has attorneys for low income, and most will do a free consultation.  Please!  take action, I'm just sorry it's when you least feel up to it and everything feels daunting & overwhelming.  :wub:

• Members
LoveNeverDies

Thank you for your help ! 

Archived