Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Has anyone seen a spirit?

LMR

• Members

I'm not sure, but maybe.  It could have been my mind desperately trying to find him.  More than once I've sworn I saw him for a minute out of the corner of my eye, but when I turn to look, he's not there.  Sometimes it feels as if he's just out of reach on the edges of this world. 

The first time, I had pulled the car into the garage.  I was certain, absolutely sure, I saw him standing there in his workshop on the other side, wearing his woodworking apron and straw hat.  The image didn't disappear until I got out of the car and looked closely.  There was his hat with apron underneath hanging on the hooks where he last left them.

But absolutely, positively, I can't say.  I know he's sent me signs though.  No one and nothing will convince me otherwise.

• Members

I believe one's spirit does remain after death. I haven't seen my husband, but he too, has sent me signs - things when I least expect them and I just know it's from him.

• Moderators

Not seen but felt.

I want to share something that happened to me.  No one will ever dissuade me of my reality!  15 1/2 years ago my husband died on Father's day, suddenly, unexpectedly, of a heart attack with diabetic complications.  He had just turned 51 that week.  He was my soul mate and best friend, the love of my life.  My life forever hence has been changed, altered, forever.  I miss and love him each and every day of my life.  I felt the same about Arlie when he entered my life...and left 1 1/2 years ago this week.  

I lost my dream job after George died, and spent 5 1/2 months looking for work, it was the beginning of the recession, 2006.  There were no local jobs so the nearest was 50 miles away, and I got it two weeks before my unemployment ran out.  2011 I'd been cut from full time to one day a week.  I actively sought work, applying to 350 jobs, any of which I could have done, easily.  For the first time in my life, no one would hire me, I faced age discrimination.  I finally got called back to week for four days/week, and made it work with 20% cut in pay.  One day I came to work and was told it was my last day and I could come back and clear out my desk on Saturday.  I knew I was done.  Not old enough to file social security but too old for anyone to want to hire me.  Shortly afterwards I could no longer see to drive at night, which cut out commuting options.  I'd prudently saved any $ I could while employed, and I knew I'd need to live on it before filing social security.  I held out as long as I could (I still have a mortgage and now a car payment) for four years but then I was broke.  I was one year shy of full retirement, but I had no choice but to take the penalty for life.  I called soc. sec. and held for an hour.  It was a Friday night and the employee that finally came to the phone was anxious to be off work.  She told me I'd only get $250/month!  I wanted her to doublecheck as it couldn't be right!  I've always worked, doing something!  No way could I live on $250/month, even if homeless!  I suffer from anxiety and she was sending me into a full panic!  She refused to check and told me to call my local office.  I tried but they'd just closed...I'd been holding for an hour when the lady had come to the phone.  It was a three day weekend.  I had to wait THREE DAYS to have someone verify what I'd get when my life was in their hands?!!!  

That night I was lying on the bed, full panic mode, and I suddenly felt George's hand on my back/shoulder area.  I'd know his touch anywhere.  I did not see/hear anything, just felt his hand on me, and immediately I was calm!  He had that effect on me.  Tuesday morning I called my local soc. sec. office and the nice man that answered gave me the true scoop and filed for me, even signing me up for Medicare, he was wonderful.  

I have never missed a payment or been late, nor have I missed any meals.  Somehow things have always worked out when I could not see how they would!

But never will I forget George's hand on me that evening, it will be with me for life.

Never doubt.  They are with us.  It's not easy for them to cross that veil or get signs to us,  but never doubt their love and caring and that their spirits are with us.  I can't explain it to satisfy a scientist, I can only relay my experience. 

• Members
On 12/10/2020 at 10:11 AM, KayC said:

Never doubt.  They are with us.  It's not easy for them to cross that veil or get signs to us,  but never doubt their love and caring and that their spirits are with us.  I can't explain it to satisfy a scientist, I can only relay my experience. 

The human mind and spirit is still a mystery, even for scientists. That's what makes us human. I believe that and I am as grounded in reality as can be. I believe my soulmate is now my guardian angel, even though he always used to say that I am his angel. No one and nothing can take away what I have learned and experienced with him so I believe that will give me the nudge every time I need it to keep on. Like George's hand on you that evening.

Thank you for being, Kay!

• Moderators

George also said I reminded him of "Touched by an Angel" as I was his angel.  :wub:  Now he's mine!

• Members
30 minutes ago, KayC said:

George also said I reminded him of "Touched by an Angel" as I was his angel.  :wub:  Now he's mine!

OT, but maybe you can relate.  I watched that show and more than once thought to myself, "Well, if the Angel of Death looks like John Dye, I'd by okay with that."

• Members
Beverly Graham

I haven't seen his spirit, but I've definitely gotten a lot of signs from him...and they mostly show up during my moments of deepest grief.

• Members

I had a vivid dream a few nights ago of my wife all dressed in a white blouse, white skirt, and white stockings. She climbed on a stool to put something away on a high cupboard and I was behind her. She was younger looking and very beautiful. I thought to myself that I should go in front of her just in case she tripped or something. I embraced her and was ecstatic that she was still alive. Then I woke up and reality hit me hard. When I embraced her in the dream, I can tell you that it was real to me and I couldn't believe how happy I was. My mother in law said that her dressed in white symbolized that she was happy, with no pain, and that she was made pure. My sister on the weekend told me she had a visitation or dream that my wife appeared beside her while she was in bed and patted her on the shoulder and said to her ' don't worry, I'm okay'. I'm sure there is something to everyone's dreams or sightings, and I just wish that we could make more sense of them. These events though did give me a little bit of comfort and maybe that's why they occur.

• Members
LoveNeverDies

There have been times when I’m in bed crying and my lamp would flicker, this lamp never never flickered when he was alive. I respond with an “I love you”and I just hope he can hear me ....

• Members
13 minutes ago, LoveNeverDies said:

There have been times when I’m in bed crying and my lamp would flicker, this lamp never never flickered when he was alive. I respond with an “I love you”and I just hope he can hear me ....

I've been lighting a candle almost every day for my wife. About a week ago or so, the candle had this very high flame and once in a while the flame would 'dance' around like it was being blown by a breeze. It did not go out though and this continued for quite some time. I even took a video of it with my phone. She could have been there trying to tell me that she was with me. I'm sure this was no fluke.

• Members
LoveNeverDies

I really think they’re watching over us 

• Members

Well, I'm still not sure, but here's what happened to me last night.

I decided to be brave and try simply going up to bed in our bed instead of starting on the sofa and then staggering up in the middle of the night.  I was pretty tired anyway and took a mini dose of my alprazolam.  Fingers crossed (so to speak), up I went.

I undressed, giving myself a little pep talk, and put on my night shirt (one of his old silk ones).  Then I got into bed and said out loud, "Please, please let me sleep."  I usually toss and turn as my busy brain won't shut up.  I often find myself going over the ways I feel I let him down.  Sure enough, my brain "went there."

I flopped onto my stomach and tried to get comfortable.  Suddenly, I felt a weight across the lower part of my back.  It felt like an arm was holding me in place and telling me to calm down and breathe.  Actually, it felt like John's arm when I'd be on my side and he'd snuggle in and wrap his arm around me.  I thought I must be imagining it, but I asked (in my head), "Is that you?"  The feeling did not go away, not even when I turned to the other side.  It distracted me enough that I actually fell asleep for 6 hours straight.

Was it him? My imagination as I stressed over trying yet again to simply go to bed?  The covers bunched in an unusual way?  Who knows.  That feeling of all of a sudden having the weight of an arm hold me made me think about that instead of replaying painful images in my mind, so I guess the reality of it doesn't matter.

• Moderators

I don't think it's your imagination any more than it was mine when I felt George's hand on my back/shoulder when I most needed it...I'd know him anywhere, it was so calming!  I only felt it that one time but it will be with me forever.  I've heard that it's hard for them to get through in the physical realm, so they have to make tremendous effort to do so, it only makes me appreciate it all the more!

• Members

Early this morning I had a dream of me going to the doctor, I don't know for what, I think it was for therapy? I couldn't find my health card and the receptionist and I were looking all through my wallet, pockets, etc. My wife just popped out to my right and said ' I love you' and kissed me. She was younger looking but I knew it was her. I said, ' I love you too' and asked why it was so quiet and empty. She just sort of floated away. Then I woke up. I felt so comforted and realized that she was able to walk and had no pain.

• Members

What a bit of joy to take notice of and be thankful for. 

The signs appear when you least expect them.

• Members

Many instances...one of the most powerful was, he gently grabbed foot one night, and held it lovingly  as not to startle me, he spoke to me in my mind I heard him loud and clear, this was the day after he died. The first couple of weeks there  were many “events” I am glad my family witnessed some of them, it’s was surreal and beautiful to me. 

• Members
South Carolina

Sorry folks, I don’t believe in spirits, ghost, angels, gods, satan, heaven , hell, sin, global flood, miracles, why ? None a stitch of evidence unfortunately. Nothing supernatural has ever been proved to exist. Zero,!! The whole bible is stories that’s it. Grow up, o yeah Santa Claus or the tooth fairy don’t exist either . Once a human  is dead , that’s it, end of story . No soul lives on in some invisible existence. That quite frankly is just stupid. Doctors cure people not some invisible god !! Get over it!!! 

• Members

South Carolina Do you just enjoy being unkind?

We none of us know, not even you. I know you are grieving yourself but allow others whatever peace of mind they can find. There's plenty still unexplained. NDEs?

• Members

I have seen with my own eyes, irrefutable proof. Those who do not believe will not be able to see because they are not open to receive these gifts and signs. I know they are real and very powerful, once you experience it, you know.

Peace to all here, some do not know what they do not know...

• Members
2 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Sorry folks, I don’t believe in spirits, ghost, angels, gods, satan, heaven , hell, sin, global flood, miracles, why ? None a stitch of evidence unfortunately. Nothing supernatural has ever been proved to exist. Zero,!! The whole bible is stories that’s it. Grow up, o yeah Santa Claus or the tooth fairy don’t exist either . Once a human  is dead , that’s it, end of story . No soul lives on in some invisible existence. That quite frankly is just stupid. Doctors cure people not some invisible god !! Get over it!!! 

First of all, not all of us are Christians, but many of us do have spiritual beliefs.  My husband and I developed our own faith, if you will, that there are things we do not know or understand and that it's supremely arrogant to think we do, but we did not have any specific belief system.  Nevertheless, I am deeply offended that you would lash out at those who are Christian or who have specific beliefs.  It's incredibly rude and hurtful for you to act like you know everything and to tell the members here to "grow up" and "get over it."  You are absolutely entitled to believe (or I suppose not believe) what you do.  You are not entitled to lecture others about it here.  You are not entitled to tell them their beliefs are "stupid."  Just because I don't believe as they do, does not mean I would denigrate their faith/religion.

Second, why on earth are you even on this thread?  You don't believe in anything.  No problem.  But the members here are trying to make sense of the senseless.  We are trying to work our way through what we do (and don't) think and feel.

Third, obviously you are in pain and grieving.  If you want to punch something or someone, verbally or otherwise, you need to find a different place to do it.  This forum is intended to be helpful and comforting, not mean and dismissive.

@LMR  Sorry.  I realize I just went way off topic and probably should have asked one of the Mods to address my concerns instead.  I'll stay on topic from now on.  Mea culpa.

• Members

South Carolina, this is a place of support. If you feel that way you do then just don't comment. Give those of us who believe in something more that bit of room for hope. Your comment does not help or support anyone.

Why don't you have a go at posting something constructive.

• Members

Everyone either has a belief in something unseen, or they don't. We don't know all the mysteries that occur. We can't explain a lot of things, but a lot of us believe by faith that there is something more to this than what we can see.

• Members
54 minutes ago, Yoli said:

Taken from my bedroom window at my parents house where I am spending the holidays.

The other day I was looking up at the sky ( one of my favourite things to do) and I saw a very similar formation. An angelic being with his/ her wings spread out.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, South Carolina said:

I'm sorry but I disagree big time!  Just don't try to invalidate the rest of us...so long as we all respect each other and afford each other our own personal beliefs. ;)

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

I'm sorry but I disagree big time!  Just don't try to invalidate the rest of us...so long as we all respect each other and afford each other our own personal beliefs. ;)

Thanks Kay.  You said it gently, whereas I just kind of let 'er rip.  Your way is probably better.

• Members
11 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Sorry folks, I don’t believe in spirits, ghost, angels, gods, satan, heaven , hell, sin, global flood, miracles.. . .

South Carolina, 

All you needed to say was that you don't believe, if you felt the need to post to this thread at all. 

I am going to assume you are in early grief and lashing out in pain. 

I am sorry for your loss, but please don't lash out on us here.  We are all struggling to deal with loss here. 

Gail

• Members
20 hours ago, South Carolina said:

I know where you are coming from and I understand the urge to lash out. You are likely grieving the loss of a loved one or at least someone who was very close to you and you are missing him/her and angry that they are gone. I will agree with you that Santa Claus, God or the Tooth Fairy don't exist in the physical world, but they do in the spiritual world. the Bible is indeed a book of stories made up by men. But think about it - everything in this world is energy in different forms. So is it possible that the human soul is some kind of energy that doesn't need the physical body in order to exist, hence you cannot prove its existence in the physical sense? Is it possible that some people are able to channel that invisible energy better than others and they would seem to others as if they have supernatural powers? Why would you dismiss this possibility?

So bottom line, open your mind and soul for all those possibilities, you may be surprised how that may help heal YOUR heart, without doctor's prescribed medications.

Just my two cents.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Maria_PI said:

the Bible is indeed a book of stories made up by men

I do NOT believe that!  I believe it is ordained by God.  Not arguing, just saying we don't all have the same belief system here.  Usually when I address someone who does not believe in afterlife, God, etc. I do point them to looking at videos of galaxies beyond, it helps stretch our feeling of being a part of something bigger and helps that feeling of hopelessness that can be ours when we feel truly alone and abandoned.  Just thought it worth a mention.  ;)

• Administrators

Hi all,

First off, the rules of Grieving.com is to be respectful of other members regardless of their beliefs since we have members from every place and faith system on earth literally. I will be dropping South Carolina a note with a reminder of the rules. Second of all, did you all know we have a whole area about beliefs on Grieving.com? You can see it here at https://forums.grieving.com/index.php?/forum/7-spiritualreligious-beliefs/.

If you want to talk about what god does or doesn't mean to you I suggest you head over the beliefs forum. If you have some cool After Death Communications (ADC's) there is a place for those stories, pictures and conversations as well.  We all have something valuable to add to this world. I look forward to seeing what you all share.

BIG BIG HUGS.

Kelly

• Members

I was getting some comfort from this thread until SC intervened. Its not so much about beliefs more about feelings. 

• Members
3 hours ago, LMR said:

Its not so much about beliefs more about feelings. 

If we have a dream of our loved one, it doesn't matter if we can explain it or not. What counts is that it does bring comfort, and it does to me. I don't remember every dream but I do remember the important ones, which to me signifies something.

• Moderators

I agree, I would never shove my beliefs on anyone, but what is hard is lack of respect for one another, as I stated before.

• Administrators

I think this thread is ready to get back on track now! Let me know if you have questions or need anything.

Kelly

• Members

I would recommend reading a book by Dr Kenneth Ring called Lessons From the Light. He works at the intersection of neuroscience and near death experiences. Whatever you believe or not happens afterwards, the experience of nearing death is irrefutable and awe inspiring and even reported in tiny children. He goes through each reported phenomenon and explores the possible scientific explanation and mostly dispels them. It’s an excellent read. It brought me so much comfort, including giving me a framework on how to try to organize my life to find meaning once I stop hurting so much.

• Members
9 hours ago, LMR said:

I was getting some comfort from this thread until SC intervened. Its not so much about beliefs more about feelings. 

I'm sorry for my part in kind of lashing out in response to SC lashing out.

But I think we can get back on topic because it is an important thing to talk about with people who "get it."

• Members

As for spirits I will share a funny story. My fiancé died a month ago leaving me in a complicated financial situation (his affairs very much not in order). We were about to buy a house that we had already moved into but is now too big, too remote and too expensive for me alone. There was a problem with a retaining wall that was bowing so he pestered the owner to get it fixed. The owner reluctantly got it fixed - it took months. He died just before the wall was done and I drove away one morning seeing it finally complete, thinking what a shame it was that he never saw it so beautifully fixed. I drove off in tears.  When I came back about an hour later I said outloud in the car “please baby... show me a sign. Tell me what to do with this house. Should I buy it alone (it’s really rural) even though I can’t really afford it? It was our dream it doesn’t seem right without you but I just don’t know. Please send me a sign”. I pulled up to the house moments later and stopped and laughed and laughed. 100 ft of the finished, beautiful retaining wall had completely collapsed. Despite months of work reinforcing it. When he was alive he had said time and time again “that wall is coming down. Mark my words”. 

so... I didn’t see HIM. But I saw his message from the other side. “Don’t buy the house. I told you that wall was coming down!”

• Members

Elsa, I like your wall story and I think it’s as clear a sign from him as there can be! They sure are around us for as long as we can feel and read the signs, I believe that. It comes from the experience and what we have learned during the relationship with our loved ones. The human spirit is not something that dies with the human body, I believe that firmly. This may sound weird but I think my Darling’s spirit has at least for now transitioned in our cat and I have some tangible proof: when I first met my love I used to smoke, not much but regularly. I quit smoking by his gentle but firm reminder that it’s not good for me. So after he passed and probably looking for an accessible drug to soothe my nerves, I started smoking again (sadly still am) but I noticed that every time I sat outside for a smoke, our cat would come walking around meowing at me as if telling me that’s not good for me. He never did anything of the sorts before. Also, my husband even before the leukemia had sinus issues and skin allergies, and so the cat started developing those after my husband passed. I am even taking him to the vet hospital in a few days for a CT scan and rhinoscopy to rule out cancer. Not to even mention that he sleeps now next to me on the bed. So yes, say what you want that it’s maybe all in my imagination but it’s not.
I will most certainly check out the book that you mention by the neuroscientist, I’ve been watching and following this young neuroscientist from Stanford University Andrew Huberman, he has some fascinating things to say about the brain, the vision and how it affects the rest of the body. He also has some techniques to help with sleep and anxiety without medication.

Sent from my iPad using Grieving.com

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Elsa said:

Please send me a sign”. I pulled up to the house moments later and stopped and laughed and laughed. 100 ft of the finished, beautiful retaining wall had completely collapsed. Despite months of work reinforcing it. When he was alive he had said time and time again “that wall is coming down. Mark my words”.

I love that!  A sign with sense of humor!

• Moderators
On 1/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, Kelly said:

If you want to talk about what god does or doesn't mean to you I suggest you head over the beliefs forum.

I don't think any of us were interested in having that discussion, but we're aboutt showing mutual respect here and do not feel someone can come in and attack our beliefs as blatantly as was done before..  We ARE about showing respect!  And that goes for her being allowed HER beliefs as well as us ours.  No need for discussion about it, we're moving on. ;)  We appreciate your back up though!

• Members

I must tell you that I have been watching "Surviving death" on Netflix and in that show they mention you should ask your love one for a specific sign so you know that they are with you.  Well yesterday I asked my husband to send me a sign that I would see an Alfa Romeo convertible (not a red or black one but an unusual color).  Today while watching a show low and behold they show a yellow Alfa Romeo convertible!!!! You can not believe how wonderful I feel knowing he is still with me.  I have received lots of signs in the past but this is a specific sign I asked for and he delivered. This is all the proof I need to know he is here, watching over me, taking care of me and loving me.

I hope you will also try this with your loved one and let me know how it works for you.

• Members

I lost my mother on march 2019, after a battle of three years against cancer. We often talked about life after death and one day I asked her, in case she died, to turn on the tv and I would know it was a sign from her.

One week after her death, at 3 a.m. in the night, the tv turned on while I was sleeping. I wasn't scared and I felt so happy because it was a sign from my mom.

She leaves me many other signs, she's always with me, as while she was alive.

Sorry for my english, I'm italian.

Archived