Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sunday Football - why am I watching this

jmmosley53

• Members

Sunday Football - why am I watching this?  It was never a real interest for me.  I knew my husband loved the game and he followed certain teams.  So as usual, I turned the game on, automatically today. I turned to his spot on the couch thinking to see his reaction to a bad play, and saw nothing.  Well, that's all it took for the tears to flow.  Thinking about how he liked to tell me about player stats or coach strategies or something was what he enjoyed a lot.  For years we sat side by side and watched football games in person or on TV - but today I sat watching a game I cared nothing about.  It was just so automatic to turn the game on.  If I didn't know better I'd think I was trying to torture myself.  I think I know my answer - turn the stupid game off.  Anyways beware falling into this trap.

• Members

I have been watching football too.  On Saturdays.  Down here in Florida it's all about college football. 

During this really high stress election and covid-19 weirdness, the sound of college football is oddly comforting.  It sounds like former, much more normal times.  Even if I don't sit and watch, the sound of the game in the house is comforting to me. It is like John could be sitting on the couch in the other room. 

Gail

• Moderators
On 10/25/2020 at 2:20 PM, jmmosley53 said:

Sunday Football - why am I watching this?  It was never a real interest for me.  I knew my husband loved the game 

You answered your question :)

It can make things harder, or it can be a comfort. If it makes it worse, I'd certainly turn it off. No need to fan the flames. I get it though. I've tried watching shows we both used to love. Sometimes it was hard, but sometimes not. A mixed thing.

Archived