Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Wedding anniversary

Gpsybld

• Members

Today would have been my wedding anniversary.  My husband Zack died June 2 from lung cancer.  He beat head and neck cancer 6 yrs ago but the treatment took a toll on his body.  He was diagnosed with lung cancer in November and decided not to undergo treatment because he knew he wouldn't survive the treatment.  He was only on hospice for two weeks before he died.  I thought i had more time with him.  Now i feel like a piece of my soul is missing. He was my everything.  I miss all the things and dont know if i can do this. We bought a house in Vermont so that he could afford to retire early.  Now here i am, alone. By myself. My kids and grandkids live out of state.  I loved being here with him and im trying to still love it.  Its our home.  But damn its lonely

• Moderators

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. No words are adequate. And those special days are of course especially hard. I have them in August myself. My thoughts and prayers to you for comfort in this darkest of times. I hope this site will help you knowing there are others going through similar struggles and "get it." 

• Members

Thank you for your kind words..it is helpful to be on this site with other people who understand, at the same time sad that there are so many of us

• Moderators

I am sorry, I never know what to say when people go through their anniversaries because I never knew how to deal with it myself, it's been 15 years and that day is still hard.  I look back on our wedding day as one of the happiest days of my life, tied only with having my kids, but it's so hard going through it alone now.

• Members

Obviously it is not "Happy Anniversary". However, while reading it my thought was that you don't have to talk about it in the conditional tense if you don't want to.

I realize the "death do us part" bit, but in my mind today still is your anniversary. It is clear to me that you still love him as you always have.

I met my beloved on November 7th. That day won't be easy for me - but it will forever be ours.

Archived