Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Dad passed away 1 month ago and not coping

MSwett72

• Members

Hi,

My name is Melissa, I'm from Maine. Recently, my Dad passed away and I am having a really hard time coping. Just writing this doesn't seem real. I cry everyday off and on it just hits me he is gone. I have a Sister, Christina, who is 6.5 years younger and my Mom, who seems to be doing okay, but she has a hard time showing any kind of emotion. My Dad was like my best friend, I went over to see him everyday and if I couldn't go over, I would call him. Recently, in December he had been diagnosed with Metastatic Melanoma and had been receiving treatment, radiation first and had been waiting on the Immunotherapy, but didn't make it to that as his body became addicted to the Steroids and he couldn't live without them, but ultimately they were killing him causing bleeding inside, which wouldn't stop. Without going off the steroids he couldn't start the immunotherapy. My Dad was so tired and lonely as he had been in the hospital for a few weeks and being so isolated away from everyone due to the virus, he was so sad. Dad knew that no matter what he was going to lose his battle and chose to be with us rather than pass in the hospital. He went to hospice, I did go see him and hug him, and cried a lot. I told him  I loved him.. He passed less than 24 hours later. I just am not able to feel better, my heart feels like it has been ripped out.  

• Members

Dear Melissa,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I wanted to let you know you are not alone. The pain and sorrow of losing a parent is unimaginable. Your dad went through so much and during such a difficult time with the pandemic. 

Thinking of you. Sending my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

Hi Melissa,

Hopefully you are doing ok. It is always a shock when a parent dies.Grieving is a process.An idea: go though pics of your childhood with your parent, pick some nice phtos and have them framed so you can enjoy them and relive the happy times.Internalize that caring parent.Or re read lettrs birthday cards etc you received as a child.Comfort that inner child.You will be ok …! Cathie45

Blossoms in the park 2020.JPG

Archived