Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my dad

GinnyJ

• Members

My Dad died in 2005, nearly 6 years ago now, when I was 13. I know it's been a long time, but I stil miss him. My mum and sister still live in the house where he died. I badly want to talk to someone about him, but there isn't anyone who I feel I can really talk to about him without alienating them. He died just as I was becoming an adult, just as my mind was maturing. Before he died, I was happy, and now I'm not. I go to a good university, but I don't have many friends. I don't think he'd be proud of me, and I'm often lonely. I feel like a failure compared to him. He was my best friend, he was the kindest person I have ever met. After he died, everything stopped for about 2 years. I lost closeness with the friends I had at school - they became, and still are, friends out of pity. I miss him so much, I think I'll miss him for as long as I live.

He makes me wish I believed there was a heaven.

I find it comforting sometimes, that I can still be in the house where he lived. All that I have lost is still here, behind the veil of time.

• Members

My Dad died in 2005, nearly 6 years ago now, when I was 13. I know it's been a long time, but I stil miss him. My mum and sister still live in the house where he died. I badly want to talk to someone about him, but there isn't anyone who I feel I can really talk to about him without alienating them. He died just as I was becoming an adult, just as my mind was maturing. Before he died, I was happy, and now I'm not. I go to a good university, but I don't have many friends. I don't think he'd be proud of me, and I'm often lonely. I feel like a failure compared to him. He was my best friend, he was the kindest person I have ever met. After he died, everything stopped for about 2 years. I lost closeness with the friends I had at school - they became, and still are, friends out of pity. I miss him so much, I think I'll miss him for as long as I live.

He makes me wish I believed there was a heaven.

I find it comforting sometimes, that I can still be in the house where he lived. All that I have lost is still here, behind the veil of time.

Hi GinnyJ,

I am sorry you lost your father, particularly at such a young age. Why do you think he'd not be proud of you? Of course he would. You are measuring yourself too harshly.

Have you ever had someone you can talk to about your dad? Have you considered going to a counselor? Perhaps one at school? What about your sister? Have you two ever talked? Maybe you should try to bring the subject up and see what happens...

You can talk to us here about your dad. Why don't you share the story with us of his life and your life together. We would love to hear it.

We look forward to getting to know you more,

ModKonnie

Archived