Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Keeping a Journal

MODArtemis2019

• Members
MODArtemis2019

In my past, I have journaled quite a bit during times of stress and upheaval. Since my husband's death, I have continued that practice. One odd thing is that I realized recently that I can't bear to write in my journal my worst thoughts, my most nightmarish memories about my husband's death and the feelings or guilt I still have. While journaling helps me to express less intense feelings, in the case of these highly charged and highly negative thoughts, I'm afraid to write them down, as if they would gain even more power over me. I'm curious about how others use journaling in their grief process. 

• Moderators

I journaled after my husband's death but eventually destroyed them...but in a way posting on line has been a kind of journaling only with responses.  I still have access to those posts as I have over 22,000 posts on that site.  When I felt I wasn't progressing I looked back over my early posts and I could see how far I'd come.  I won't ever forget the feelings I had in that first year or so, it's indelibly etched inside of me.

• Members
mydeepestthoughts

Writing about ones thoughts is indeed therapeutic..I have found that writing things down privately during moments of despair, helps me avoid saying things that i may later regret. Writing things online via a forum like this is also a good way to balance your feelings of grief, it helps you see that many are suffering and feeling the way that you do.

The tendency when grieving is to withdraw ..but the best way to heal is to have an confidant  that you can rely on.

Proverb 17:17 reads. “A true friend shows love at all times, and is a brother who is born for times of distress“.

When my Mom passed  away my close friends were there for me and they let me talk and cry.

i truly appreciated that ..may all of you also find peace in the midst of your grief and loss. 

• Moderators
On 11/23/2019 at 9:42 AM, Artemis2019 said:

In my past, I have journaled quite a bit during times of stress and upheaval. Since my husband's death, I have continued that practice. One odd thing is that I realized recently that I can't bear to write in my journal my worst thoughts, my most nightmarish memories about my husband's death and the feelings or guilt I still have. While journaling helps me to express less intense feelings, in the case of these highly charged and highly negative thoughts, I'm afraid to write them down, as if they would gain even more power over me. I'm curious about how others use journaling in their grief process. 

Interesting to me as the best use of a journal for me was to write down my most intense feelings. I needed to rant and vent, badly, and it gave me a way to do that. Rather than give them power, it took it away to some degree, because it wasn't buried inside me, but "out there" so to speak. 

But bottom line go with what works. NEVER feel like there's some way you "should" be grieving or that you're not doing it "right." The right way is the way that works for you. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

But bottom line go with what works. NEVER feel like there's some way you "should" be grieving or that you're not doing it "right." The right way is the way that works for you. 

Right!

• Members

The second night after my husband passed I found this site to help me cope. Writing about my husband’s passing on here was a huge release for me. I was in so much pain and this site helped me when I was in my deepest despair. It was extremely therapeutic for me. 
4 weeks after my husband passed, his cousin told me her therapist told her she should write to my husband to help with the grieving process. So I decided to try it out and I’ve been writing to my husband almost everyday on google docs. I try to write as openly and as honest as I can. I try to write what’s exactly on my mind and how I am feeling. Somedays I might just write a few sentences. 

Archived