Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Furiously angry and enraged

ModKonnie

• Members

My grandfather died on Sunday. Do you want to know how we found out? One of my friends from my hometown called and asked when I was going to the visitation so she could meet my sister and I there. Let me back up and vent the entire story.

10 years ago my grandmother died. She was a difficult women, and most people in the family did not get along with her. They avoided her actually. Grandma and Grandpa spent every Sunday, holiday, special occassion and whenever they could arrange to at my childhood home. My mother, the oldest child, always welcomed them, no matter how difficult Grandma was being. I loved Grandma, and I didn't notice her behavior until I was much older. She has some mental health issues, which became very problematic later in life.

Anyway, to make this shorter, she spent all of her time with us, and when we got our own homes, she started coming to my house and my sisters' homes for those events and what not. After not seeing many of her family for years, she died. That's when the hounds swooped in and tried to find the gold they thought she had buried. LOL. Well, she did bury it, years before, but they will never find it because it was given out beforehand to those she knew truly loved her.

My aunt came in and overpowered my mother to take control of Grandpa, after not having talked to either he or my grandma for 25 years at least. My mother was taking care of my father, who was severely injured in a work accident, which he never recovered from. My aunt took advantage of Grandpa, and over the next few years, wiped out his life savings (substantial), ruined his health (deliberately) and isolated him from us. We managed to keep in touch with him despite her nefarious efforts until she removed him to a nursing home two years ago. In the meantime, my grandma's estated had to be settled.

My aunt was supposed to be the executor of the estate, but wouldn't do the legal paperwork necessary to deal with the estate. She kept putting it off, and said she was going to get her "boyfriend" to take care of it.

As the time for filing the paperwork came to the deadline (8 years), she still wouldn't do anything. My mother invested in an estate lawyer, and he filed the paperwork and got the ball rolling. My mother was appointed the new executor (which my aunt agreed to). My aunt wanted my mother to fire the lawyer and let her handle the selling of the house and things. My mother refused. This is where the real problem started. My mother was hounded by her sisters' kids (my cousins), called names, threatened, etc... for doing things LEGALLY. They thought they could get more money if she did things there way. In the end, they stabbed my mother in the back for a few hundred dollars apiece they didn't want to pay in legal fees.

She had the lawyer do all the legal stuff, sell the house, etc.., and divvy up the money.

None of them have talked to her since (last August). Including her snake devious sister--my aunt.

So, when Grandpa died Sunday, we didn't know. I wanted to say goodbye to him. I loved him. He was a great grandpa. I am taking Mom to the funeral tomorrow, and I am expecting a family feud to break out. That's okay, though, because we hold the moral high ground, and they don't. That's how it's always been. They are immoral, lazy people looking to make a quick buck. It's so sad that they sold their family for a few dollars.

Just had to vent.

ModKonnie

• Members

Konnie, I am so sorry I didn't see this earlier. I have a little time off and thought I'd check about the site . I can totally relate to what you went through and I understand how difficult it is to witness and then, be seemingly suckered into events, try to do the right thing and have backlash from those decisions that were left in your hands or in this case, your mom's hands to make. I found myself in a similar situation when my mother became ill. I felt like an only child. I love my brother dearly yet he made no move to help with her care,paperwork, etc. I had a half-sister, i say half because she was the "golden child", youngest and lived less then 10 miles from Mom and when the time came to take care o mom, after many years of my mom taking care of half-sister and kids. well, half-sister washed her hands of everything. she no longer exists to me.

I hope you made the service. vent,vent,vent!!!!! and i hope everything settled down and some peace was had for you family.

• Members

Konnie, I am so sorry I didn't see this earlier. I have a little time off and thought I'd check about the site . I can totally relate to what you went through and I understand how difficult it is to witness and then, be seemingly suckered into events, try to do the right thing and have backlash from those decisions that were left in your hands or in this case, your mom's hands to make. I found myself in a similar situation when my mother became ill. I felt like an only child. I love my brother dearly yet he made no move to help with her care,paperwork, etc. I had a half-sister, i say half because she was the "golden child", youngest and lived less then 10 miles from Mom and when the time came to take care o mom, after many years of my mom taking care of half-sister and kids. well, half-sister washed her hands of everything. she no longer exists to me.

I hope you made the service. vent,vent,vent!!!!! and i hope everything settled down and some peace was had for you family.

Betsy,

Thank you for your kind words. Things have settled down because we have washed our hands of that side of the family. My mother is heartbroken about her sister, but she has let it go and is moving forward. I am still angry when I think about the situation and how they all were so greedy and nasty. I know, however, that no matter what they did, I knew my grandfather well, and I know who he truly loved to spend time with--me and my brothers and sisters. We spent all of our time with him as kids AND adults. I know he missed us, and that's what makes me the maddest--the fact they took advantage of him and squirreled him away so we couldn't get to him.

ModKonnie

Archived