Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The kindness of strangers

Billie Rae

• Members

So,as you know I had to sell my Charlie's tools and I'm sick.The young men that bought Charlie's tools have"adopted"me.When they found out I was not well each one stopped by after work just to see if I was okay if I need anything.Last night one of these sweet young men brought me meals for the week!Homemade chicken soup,beef stew and pot roast with rice and veggies.Each one sends me a text every day just to ask if I'm well.All because I opened up and showed my grief and how alone I feel,this gives me hope for the world.These men are Hispanic,one Mexican one Puerto Rican one Dominican and they have not been tought that grief is bad.In their culture grief is acceptable and expected,even the loud wailing and sobbing.They are raised with people who express grief and it's normal for it to last,the widows wear black for at least 2 years some longer and the men make shrines to their beloved wives.I find that I am more comfortable with these strangers(now friends)than I am with others because they understand and accept my pain,they don't try to fix me,just help me.This is what our society needs,not denial and shame but this open understanding.

Love and one minutes peace to us all

Billie

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Grieving.com mobile app

• Members
Moment2moment

Such a wonderful gift to you to have these new friends and their caring ways. Thank you for sharing this story. Bless your heart.

Love, 

Lily Bell

• Moderators

I'm so glad to hear it!  Our town, being in a state of crisis, has demonstrated so much caring towards each other this week, it's been amazing.  Those are the treasures we cherish!

• Members

@Billie Rae  I am so glad someone was looking out for you, and that you've found new friends to help you out, and to understand what you are going through.  Hugs.

• Members

Its nice to feel someone is there for me and that they understand my tears and looking out for my well being.And they make sure I never feel alone without pushing me.Good guys they are.Isn't it sweet to have Kayc back!
Love and a moment's peace
Billie

• Members

Sorry for the late reply. But these guys sound wonderful! It's refreshing to read how they deal with grief in other cultures than our Western culture.

• Members

@Pim yes it's wonderful that grief is acceptable in most cultures,ours seems to be a"get on with it"attitude that leaves us who grieve feeling lonely and unfulfilled and lost.My love to you
Billie

• Members

@Billie Rae  I do think people forget about us and think we're all " better" now.  I dont think most will ever understand until they go through it themselves.  I myself can't even understand at times...I can't believe almost 6 months..seems like yesterday. Yet I do feel like Im losing him, more and more as time goes on. I dont want to lose him, I picture him walking in door and wonder what the pups would do, then I feel bad hes missing out on them, and they him.  I guess I need to get back in positive mode... Im usually an optimistic person. Love to all.

• Moderators

It's hard to not feel that way (losing them) when they've been gone longer and longer period of time, but the truth is, the love is still there, both ways and nothing has been lost at all but our ability to see them in the moment...when at last we are reunited, all will be well!  I hold on for that...

• Members

I love you guys even if we have not met in person.we have all been through so much and are now going through it together.Here is a picture of the day I bought Charlie his truck20170507_121636.jpeg20170507_121630.jpeg

• Members

@Billie Rae Awww....he looked so happy.  And wonderful that you bought it for him, and that he did get to enjoy it for awhile.  I'm sure he had many happy moments driving it.  Love and hugs

• Members

He absolutely loved that truck,said it was the nicest thing he ever had.I put a custom ladder rack and tool boxes on it,it was supposed to be his forever truck,just not this way.

• Moderators

I wish I had a picture of George getting his new truck, I let him pick it out on his own, we loved it.  So many happy memories crowded into such a short time!

• Members

I had never seen Charlie that happy.His test drive lasted an hour and he couldn't wait to show the guys at work.He was so proud when they all made big oohs and ahs over it

• Members

@Billie Rae Wonderful pictures. Nice to see your Charlie. He looks so content!

You know what, reading your posts, I get this feeling that a lot of people here on this forum had (have) such loving and intense relationships. When I look around me where I live, I see so many people who seem to lead a dull life even though they are together. Or they are having words or are bitching at each other, which I find embarrassing.

Just the other evening I was talking with a friend about the long and short holidays that I had with Rob. I miss these so much, but I am amazed at how much we experienced while we were together. My friend observed that it is almost as if Rob knew that his being on earth was short lived and that he did all he could to get the most out of it.

Kind of spooky, not sure if that is true. But it shows how much quality of life we had. Seems a lot of you also had this abundance of positive experiences when everything was still OK and his/her passing was something so remote.

Hugs to you all, Pim

• Members

@Pim For the last 2 years Charlie would say"it's getting close to retirement,I don't think I'll see it"I don't know if something told him or if it was his usual doom and gloom.He was so funny that way every time something went wrong he would yell"I just want to die now"but when death came he fought it hard.We weren't really a lovey touchy couple but I know I was his herobecause he always told me I saved his life.
Love to all and one moment peace
Billie

Archived