Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

taking too long?

gatesjoan

• Members

My father passed away 6 months ago. I thought I was 'over' the grief, but it seems to have returned. Everything reminds me of him and I miss him so much. Everything I read says that by 6 mos I should be back to normal. I sure don't feel 'normal'. Anyone else still struggling like this?

• Members

Everything I have read says there is no 'normal' span to grieving... You aren't alone. Trust me.

• Members

My father passed away 6 months ago. I thought I was 'over' the grief, but it seems to have returned. Everything reminds me of him and I miss him so much. Everything I read says that by 6 mos I should be back to normal. I sure don't feel 'normal'. Anyone else still struggling like this?

Hi,

Six months is certainly not alot of time when grieving for a lost loved one. While some things will return to "normal" after awhile, unfortunately, "normal" may never be quite the same anymore. A new "normal" may take longer than six months, so please don't feel alone in this. My dad died a year and a half ago, and I have days where I struggle terribly.

ModKonnie

• Members

Thank you,,, I just miss him so very much lately - like the tears are just right there ready to fall. People tell me that my Dad would not want me to be sad, and I know he wouldn't, but I ache for one more hug, one more talk, one more phone call. We were told he had 8 - 12 months to live,,, we got 19 days, 8 of those spent basically in a coma and another week with my mother not allowing us to tell him he was terminal. We were close Dad and I,, guess I'm just too much of a Daddy's girl and need to buck up and get over it.

• Members

Thank you,,, I just miss him so very much lately - like the tears are just right there ready to fall. People tell me that my Dad would not want me to be sad, and I know he wouldn't, but I ache for one more hug, one more talk, one more phone call. We were told he had 8 - 12 months to live,,, we got 19 days, 8 of those spent basically in a coma and another week with my mother not allowing us to tell him he was terminal. We were close Dad and I,, guess I'm just too much of a Daddy's girl and need to buck up and get over it.

I know you miss him and need to hug him and talk to him. I'd take one little teensy minute of talking to my dad if I could. My dad was too afraid of dying to talk about his death. It was a tough situation. Plus his personality changed at the end, and that was very difficult.

Give yourself more time, you will be able to move forward in time. I'm not sure anyone ever "gets over it" really, but we learn to move forward and live again.

Just know that we are here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Sorry about your dad. It is so hard to loss some so close to you. Keep talking with people and use the support you have around you. Wish you the best. thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Members

Hugs to you. I lost my dad the day after Christmas and was doing "ok" until this past week. I've had my moments but as the days

come and go i'm getting more sad. I think it's a process, everyone is different as my mother i believed grieved while my dad was

alive as he was so sick. Everything reminds me of him, hardest thing i've ever had to deal with. Keep your chin up and don't put

a timeframe on grief, everyone does it in their own way/time.

• Members

I can't imagine anyone who was close to a parent getting over it in 6 months. I'm still not over it and it's been 4 years...that's obviously not a normal time span but for me it is what it is and I have to deal.

Archived