Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How do I cope

shoebon

• Members

My four year old escaped from a locked yard with a 5 ft high safety fence and drowned in a neighbours dam, for the past four years he has been my world, I have other children however he had special needs that consumed so much of my time and energy, I was his world and my world revolved around him, I am finding it so hard to get through the day knowing he is not here any more, I am trying to stay strong for my other children but its killing me that one minute he was with me and just a few minutes later he went missing and 20 minutes later he was dead. My life feels empty my heart feels empty i am emotionally withdrawing from my one year old for fear of losing him too. My 11 year old is struggling with her grief and i can barely manage mine let alone help her what can I do?

• Members

Chris's Mum

What you can do is breath. One breath at a time. We know what you are going through. My 16 year old son, Brian decided to climb on the hood of a car. His friend drove like that, lost control and hit a tree. Brian died within minutes. The accicent scene is 1/4 mile from our home.

You do have a reason to live. I know this is hard, but try to think of the 4 years he lived, not the one day he died. Also, the time you spent with him may be empty time to you know. but it does not have to be. For just one minute, try to fill that time with coloring with your kid. Do not expect to much of yourself, but one minute at a time is do-able. That one minute will turn into two.

Drink plenty of water, cry when you want to and visit us at the Loss of an Adult Child forum. My son was not an adult child, but I am accepted without question and you will too.

We know what you are going through. Just remember to Breath

Colleen, Brian's Mother Forever

• Members

Chris's Mum,

As Colleen stated, all you can do is take it one minute or one day at a time be gentle to yourself and slowly breath.

I too loss a child age 15 my daughter was shot by her boyfriends negligent act and some days are better than others. The adult child forum is where most of us go to post. Everyone one on their will help you get through this process that we are all forced to be on but we are not alone!

Please come join us there when you are ready to share your story of the love and memories of your sweet child chris..

Archived