Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

It's especially tough when you're ill

Spengler

• Members

I've been struggling with some kind of respiratory flu for a week and a half. Can't seem to get rid of it. And, yes, I did have a flu shot last month.

Not having someone express sympathy, hold your hand, bring you something to drink, talk to you when you need it. It makes it harder to get well. It makes it harder to keep fighting. Sometimes, it would be easy to give up and just let the illness take me. But, for her sake, I will not. I can be killed, but I cannot be broken.

• Members

Stay strong, even though being strong may feel pointless at times. Stay brave, even though being brave is so lonely. 

Like you said - for her sake, but don't forget about yourself. 

Sending you what little energy I have, hoping you feel it and take care. <3

• Moderators

I know exactly what you mean.  When we are at our weakest, the absence of the comfort they provided is so much more apparent.  When I was sick Christine would make me chicken noodle soup and cut oranges, but slice them horizontally, so that each one had the segments from the orange slices for little bite sized pieces.  Now I cut the oranges that way any time I’m feeling sick to remind myself of what she did for me.  If you can think of some smalll but unique thing she did like that and do it for yourself, and for her, it might help.  Hoping you feel better in many ways,

Herc

PS - A week and a half is a pretty long time, you might want to make a doctors appointment.  I was bad about that before and often she made my appointments for me.  If it is similar for you, here’s your reminder.

• Moderators

Spengler,

I'm so sorry!  It IS especially hard to deal with illness and surgery w/o them here to take care of us, their absence is noticed all the more keenly at those times.  Do you have anyone who can check in on you, get you something at the drugstore, etc.?  Stay hydrated!  Sending you positive thoughts and prayers for healing...

• Members
20 hours ago, Spengler said:

I've been struggling with some kind of respiratory flu for a week and a half. Can't seem to get rid of it. And, yes, I did have a flu shot last month.

Not having someone express sympathy, hold your hand, bring you something to drink, talk to you when you need it. It makes it harder to get well. It makes it harder to keep fighting. Sometimes, it would be easy to give up and just let the illness take me. But, for her sake, I will not. I can be killed, but I cannot be broken.

I just saw this post. just posted something similar somewhere around here.  LOL.  You just motivated me to get back today on my doing fresh orange juice.  I even stopped that the past few days.  I'm managing  the water intake!!  it helps me when I have a jug with required needed oz set up.  Just an idea.  May work may not be something you need need to do.  My mission is to get that down before bedtime.  stay hydrated!!!!  I was making the little jaunts to get my bone broth etc but I kind of just gave up a couple days ago.  Let's knock this respiratory bug out of our system :) 

• Members
12 hours ago, Herc said:

I know exactly what you mean.  When we are at our weakest, the absence of the comfort they provided is so much more apparent.  When I was sick Christine would make me chicken noodle soup and cut oranges, but slice them horizontally, so that each one had the segments from the orange slices for little bite sized pieces.  Now I cut the oranges that way any time I’m feeling sick to remind myself of what she did for me.  If you can think of some smalll but unique thing she did like that and do it for yourself, and for her, it might help.  Hoping you feel better in many ways,

Herc

PS - A week and a half is a pretty long time, you might want to make a doctors appointment.  I was bad about that before and often she made my appointments for me.  If it is similar for you, here’s your reminder.

for sure.  I gave myself 5 days.  I did all my natural remedies. I thought I had it nipped  and than boom during the night it hit.  Went to doctors the next morning knowing the viral was now bacterial. So discouraging too is the fact I haven't been on antibiotics in 10+ years and now twice within approximately 13 months.  My doctor said "healthy people get sick."  He was aware of my panic and grief.  just the reminder that I'm very healthy is encouraging and reinforcing healthy people get sick was encouraging for me.  Grief creates so much upheaval emotionally and physically. I need to respect that even though intellectually I get it. 

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Do you have anyone who can check in on you, get you something at the drugstore, etc.?  Stay hydrated!  Sending you positive thoughts and prayers for healing...

Thank you for the thoughts and sympathy. Yes, my stepson and his family are shopping for me, including cough medication. But, darn it, I wish I had my wife to talk to and hold my hand.

• Members
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, Spengler said:

I've been struggling with some kind of respiratory flu for a week and a half. Can't seem to get rid of it.

3 hours ago, Sunflower2 said:

for sure.  I gave myself 5 days.  I did all my natural remedies. I thought I had it nipped  and than boom during the night it hit.  Went to doctors the next morning knowing the viral was now bacterial.

Sorry to hear that you both have been sick and feeling bad. As others have said, stay hydrated, keep warm and get plenty of rest. Hugs and prayers for you both.

Archived