Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Finding/needing new friends and "a life": try meetup.com

widower2

• Moderators

I have been repeatedly shocked at how common it is to hear stories of people being abandoned by those who they thought were friends....or perhaps not having many friends for whatever reason (more focus on their partner or family etc).  Now they find themselves much more alone than those who still have a lot of close family support, or who are lucky enough to have REAL friends who stand by them.  But even those such people might find themselves feeling more alone than many might realize and wanting or needing new social outlets.

My point is if you feel you need more connections in this world and a way to minimize that insanely dark and foreboding aloneness, I suggest checking out meetup.com.  It is basically a loose construct for people in a given demographic area to create "clubs" of sorts......but not like a traditional club you might be thinking of.  They are very low pressure, low to no cost (how can you not like that?) and cover a wide variety of interests.  Some are based on age, but most are based on common interests or hobbies.  For example there are walking/hiking groups, movie night groups, happy hour groups, 20something groups, 30something groups, (etc for other ages, you get the idea). Basically little to lose and a lot to possibly gain.  Of course the bigger the area you live in or near, probably the more groups there are..but even smaller areas tend to have something at least somewhat nearby.   Give them a look, again you've nothing to lose, and trust me stewing in your aloneness will NOT help.  Even if you're not very inclined, try to get out at least a little........these groups can help.  FYI.

• Members

As with any group move into one that "fits" you on many levels beyond a specific event.  Dynamics vary greatly.  You don't even have to pigeon hole yourself into one defined meetup.  Shop around :) 

• Moderators

Another way to meet people and develop friendships is by volunteering.  The sky is the limit, it depends upon your interest, you can spoon out soup at a homeless shelter, walk dogs at a rescue, I volunteer at a senior site twice a week.  I'm also in several small group, on a praise team, and am treasurer for my church.  It's not about what you do so much as finding a place you fit and have an interest in...getting out, not isolating, meeting people.  I also lead a grief support group and have developed close friendships through that.

Archived