Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Healing after tragedy, topic in book by Elaine Pagels

Spengler

• Members

Quoting:

-------------------------

'Why Religion?' Asks 'How Hearts Can Heal' After Tragedy

Religion scholar Elaine Pagels lost her young son to terminal illness and her husband a year later in an accident. Her new book combines memoir and biblical scholarship to reflect on loss and faith.

-------------------------

This is from a radio program, "Fresh Air," with host Terry Gross

The audio of the interview can be listened to.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/05/664347954/why-religion-asks-how-hearts-can-heal-after-tragedy?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=storiesfromnpr

One thing I could truly relate to was Pagels saying we prefer feeling guilt over the loss of a loved one to feeling helpless.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Spengler said:

One thing I could truly relate to was Pagels saying we prefer feeling guilt over the loss of a loved one to feeling helpless.

Hi Spengler, I am really struck by this remark, it makes sense, and I've never thought of it in that light before.  Thank you for sharing this.

• Members
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:03 PM, Spengler said:

Yes, feeling guilt gives us a sense of control in our life where it feels we have no control.  Guilt also makes us feel connected to our loved ones.  Its the moving out of that guilt that begins to help us heal. 

Archived