Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dog got out of her collar and is lost in woods.

Sami

• Members

Three days ago my little dog got out of her collar while she was being walked by my roommate. A large pit bull spooked her and in a flash she was gone. We've driven all over the roads by the woods to try to find her. My friend went into a section of woods to try to find her. It's hopeless now searching for her. She could be anywhere. We told all the neighbors to keep an eye out for her. I'm terrified knowing she's probably out there slowly dying or a predator got her. It's breaking my heart. I'm going crazy with this. My roommate even more since she was walking the dog when it got loose. It was such a crazy situation for my dog to do that. Now it'll be like a never ending nightmare.

DSCN0667 (2).JPG

• Members

I’m so sorry... I’m dealing with the death of my dog and I pray you can find her and she she returns home. Nothing I can say can make things better but I hope she is found safe and sound

• Members

Thanks for posting Sam. A pet's death is bad enough, but when it's like this it's horrific. Not knowing where she is, feeling guilty that she got away. I'm supposed to be keeping her safe. I'm so sick this morning. I don't think I can keeping driving around and looking. Where do I look? Is there a chance I'm going to find her on the side of the road just waiting for me? No, I don't think so. I don't think she knows where she can go. I know I've done all I can in finding her. All I can do is keep hoping. I have 5 other dogs and 6 cats to take care of. I can barely do that. The dogs know there's something wrong with me. The cats, well we all know cats don't always care. LOL.

I'm glad I found this forum. There are a lot of people in common. Those poor people are so horribly sad. I feel for them. I'm crying for them too.

• Moderators

I am so sorry, I can imagine your terror!  Have you put up flyers, gone door to door, contacted the Humane Society?  Was she chipped, if so, have you contacted them?

I hope and pray she makes her way back to you.  It's hard not knowing, my my son's dog used to get loose and be found, even quite a ways from home (he was a runner).  He got loose one time and found his way to my house, about seven miles away, they sometimes have a better sense of direction than we'd think.  So here's hoping...saying a prayer.

• Members

She's not chipped. I wish she'd had a tracking chip put in, but I never thought this could happen. "I should have" keeps going through my head. I've done everything I could think of to notify people. My fear is she wasn't able to get out of the woods. It's a lot of acreage and she might not find her way out. I'm sick over this. I keep hoping though.

• Members

There is a lost dog site on facebook when shared actually brings results.  Anything is a worth a try.  I feel for you.

• Members

Thanks Liz, I have done that. I put something in several spots but the area she's lost in is so huge. I can only hope that she at least managed to get out of the woods onto a road where she can be seen. It seems incredibly hopeless at this point.

• Moderators

I know.  I lost my cat Miss Mocha, over two years ago, never did find out with certainty what happened to her, never found remains, neighbors never heard/saw anything, my beautiful girl, I had her for 10 1/2 years and didn't know how old she was but she was in great health and very happy with me here.  I know she wouldn't run off, I suspect a cougar got her, I have a forest behind me and they're around.  It's very hard not knowing what happened, you have no closure.

I did buy her a memorial stone even though I have nothing to bury, I felt she deserved that the same as my other pets who are gone.  For a long time, I kept waiting for her to show up at the patio door, kept looking for her, calling her.  :(

• Members

There is also a new website, it is like a social media platform for neighborhoods. It is called Nextdoor.com and you sign up and it's just for your neighborhood. You can post announcements, issues in the neighborhood and lost pets. Many people have found pets using it. Try it if you can? 

Archived