Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Counseling is helpful

Spengler

• Members

I have found it very helpful to talk to the grief counselor provided by hospice. I'm eligible for these services for an entire year following the passing of my wife. She is very good, but not trained to treat depression, which often accompanies grief. In fact, I have been suffering from depression for most of my life, and losing my wife has made it even more difficult to bear. What I've done is made an appointment for depression screening and evaluation through my health insurance plan.

I would urge everyone grieving to seek counseling, if appropriate. Having a person to talk to, face to face, can provide comfort and strength.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Spengler said:

I have found it very helpful to talk to the grief counselor provided by hospice. I'm eligible for these services for an entire year following the passing of my wife. She is very good, but not trained to treat depression, which often accompanies grief. In fact, I have been suffering from depression for most of my life, and losing my wife has made it even more difficult to bear. What I've done is made an appointment for depression screening and evaluation through my health insurance plan.

I would urge everyone grieving to seek counseling, if appropriate. Having a person to talk to, face to face, can provide comfort and strength.

I have gone weekly since September 24th 2017.  we find what works best and this is only a part of my effort to work through this pain,  It is valuable as friends and family shouldn't be expected to feel they need to help us through the darkest deepest moments. Besides the privacy of my home her office has become  my sacred grief sanctuary.  

• Moderators

I agree.  When our spouse dies we are at a loss to know how to proceed, where do we begin! A counselor can help provide a way through the maze of grief.  If after three visits with the counselor, one does not feel they're getting anything out of it, it's good to talk over their concerns with their counselor to see if they're on the same page, if not, to try another one.  Just as a doctor isn't trained in grief, neither is a counselor in depression, although it's good to understand that depression like symptoms in grief are not necessarily depression in the clinical sense, even though similar in display...certainly if one is already prone to depression, grief will only worsen those feelings.

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2012/06/voices-of-experience-grief-and.html

Archived