Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How we met....

Jenn4

• Members

This forum is a wonderful place to talk about our loss and how we feel or the bad days we have. Today I was thinking about my BF and thought maybe you guys can share how you met your loved ones as well. Maybe if anything to bring back a happy memory for the day.

I met my BF in a nightclub, he came up to me and asked me to dance. Let’s say his “game” wasn’t that strong. We had to semi shout above the loud music and we found out that we both worked in the same industry. It turned into a weird proposition to go work with him at his company. The next day he called me and since that day we talked almost everyday since.

Our second date was again at a club and I invited him and his friends out. Where we were standing I kept getting bumped by this big tall guy and my BF noticed and put his arm between me and the guy. When he noticed that I was still being pushed he traded spaces with me and I knew he would always be there to protect and take care of me. 10 years later and all our ups and downs he was always there for me. I think that’s what I miss most, knowing someone who had my back always. 

How did you guys meet your loved ones? 

• Members
6 hours ago, Jenn4 said:

This forum is a wonderful place to talk about our loss and how we feel or the bad days we have. Today I was thinking about my BF and thought maybe you guys can share how you met your loved ones as well. Maybe if anything to bring back a happy memory for the day.

I met my BF in a nightclub, he came up to me and asked me to dance. Let’s say his “game” wasn’t that strong. We had to semi shout above the loud music and we found out that we both worked in the same industry. It turned into a weird proposition to go work with him at his company. The next day he called me and since that day we talked almost everyday since.

Our second date was again at a club and I invited him and his friends out. Where we were standing I kept getting bumped by this big tall guy and my BF noticed and put his arm between me and the guy. When he noticed that I was still being pushed he traded spaces with me and I knew he would always be there to protect and take care of me. 10 years later and all our ups and downs he was always there for me. I think that’s what I miss most, knowing someone who had my back always. 

How did you guys meet your loved ones? 

Nice thread. I met my husband in our college. He was one year senior than me and did lots of ragging or maybe he was interested that's why he did that. He used to tease me and during ragging always asked me to sing. I hated him so much that time and told my roommates that what he thinks about himself, he got no other except me for ragging. One day his joke became serious one and i cried , next day he came to me and apologize after that day we became friends and talked every day. After 2 months he proposed me and I said yes of course. Those days were best day of my life. 

Btw peoples used to teased me after our marriage that he did ragging to you that's you got married to him so that you can take revenge. :)

• Members

A personal ad in the newspaper. This was in pre-Internet days, of course. When we first spoke on the phone, I was interested, but she knew.

• Moderators

I wrote a letter to the editor and he looked up my contact information and wrote to me...I wrote back.  The communication was great and the connection was amazing.  We could relate to each other.  The first time I heard his voice on the phone, I loved it.  When we met in person, it was like we belonged together!

• Members

Derek and I met working at a coffee shop. He was younger than me. I was dating someone, as was he. He was a wild guy, and I was a complete square. When he'd miss work (these were during our college days), our manager always gave him chance after chance. Somehow, it didn't bother anyone when he'd be late for a shift. He was such a charmer. I have a really good memory...photographic...yet, I can't remember the first time I saw him. I can't remember shaking his hand, or someone telling me "this is Derek". Technically, we never had a hello or a goodbye in this lifetime. I like to think thats because our souls met long, long ago, are connected forever, and we'll never have a goodbye no matter what. 

• Members

My daughter drug me out to a bar one night... I was so uncomfortable going to the bar with my daughter because everyone was half my age.... she convinced me and said we would say we were sisters!  So the first person I met was my Dewayne, of course I said I was with my sister from out of town, thought I’d never see him again so no harm!! Well we ended up hanging out the whole night and when he called the next day he asked how me and my sister were doing!!! Ugh, caught in a lie now! So I tell him I have something to tell you about my sister, she’s actually my daughter!! He said that’s no way to start a relationship lol! The rest is history... we moved In together 3 months later and have been together for 4 years! He loved my daughter so very much, he always said she was the daughter he always dreamed of!

• Members

I met my husband at a club. I actually asked him to dance which he never liked dancing and turned me down. LOL...After the club we talked, spent the night together and literally were joined at the hip from that day. We were together 10 years before we got married & then married for 8. Almost 18 years with someone that I met out dancing. They always say don't look to meet your partner at a club but that is exactly where I met the love of my life. We use to sit in my kitchen staring at each other and talking all night long. Falling in love with him was the best time I've ever had. My beautiful, happy, light hearted soulmate. 

• Members

I met my husband through church.  We had a young adult club that had a social at my apartment.  He was new to the group but came anyway.  He stayed after everyone else left to "help clean up" :) we talked easily but I didn't  really think he was my type.  He was persistent with phone calls, notes, visits, almost to the point of annoying me.  But, he broke through to me and I realized what a kind and genuinely good man he was and I couldn't  help but fall in love with him.  Eighteen months later we were married.  We had 33 years together and realize I was  blessed I had that many with someone who loved me so much.  Can't wait to see him again some day!

• Members
4 hours ago, LeannC45 said:

I met my husband at a club. I actually asked him to dance which he never liked dancing and turned me down. LOL...After the club we talked, spent the night together and literally were joined at the hip from that day. We were together 10 years before we got married & then married for 8. Almost 18 years with someone that I met out dancing. They always say don't look to meet your partner at a club but that is exactly where I met the love of my life. We use to sit in my kitchen staring at each other and talking all night long. Falling in love with him was the best time I've ever had. My beautiful, happy, light hearted soulmate. 

That’s a great story...

• Members
37 minutes ago, Jamiei said:

That’s a great story...

Awe, thank you. I really liked reading your story as well. I love reading all of them because I imagine the smiles that come from all of us as we write about the loves of our lives. There are so so many tears shed so it is nice to smile and think about the very best times. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, LeannC45 said:

Awe, thank you. I really liked reading your story as well. I love reading all of them because I imagine the smiles that come from all of us as we write about the loves of our lives. There are so so many tears shed so it is nice to smile and think about the very best times. 

I agree I think this thread is the first time I’ve smiled in months.... it’s nice to remember happiness instead of this horrible pain we’re all going through! 

• Members

I met my fiancé online actually seems werid saying it. I was very new to the whole online dating thing. My good friend told me to try it out and I was like I don’t know. Anyways we met at the mall and went out to dinner. We both didn’t want the date to end so we drove around trying to find something to do ended up going to the movies. It was the best first date I’ve ever had. Always since we met it’s like we knew each other already! We got along so great and had so much in common. It was so weird we never had like those awkward first couple date moments. Second date we watched a Steelers game together both huge Steeler fans. I believe we were sole mates. He was so great to me we laughed all the time and he made me a better person. We were suppose to move to England Sept 1 and then get married. He brought more joy in my life then I can ever imagine and I have no regrets. I will always love him and hope one day we will be together again. 

• Members

What great stories from all of you! Reading how your love stories started brought a smile to my face.

:) 

• Members

we actually grew up together. I had my journey and never realized the love he had for me even then.....we traveled different paths and 35 years ago we became us.  he actually stopped by my house with another close childhood friend,,,,,my parents were in town.  the next morning my dad made a comment "why don't I stop and take a look at him....like go out with him."  That was the message from my dad...different words but shared with his smile and love.  My reaction was and an eye roll yet in time that soul connection became apparent,,,not immediately but shortly after.  My dad was a very kindred spirit and very astute,  He knew than what I didn't know.  I look back and even though my partner and I became connected I still had my journey,....he stood by me and allowed me to continue to evolve.  He knew I knew my journey and I couldn't be tamed. I had healing and a determined path!  Had I not had that space we would not have became who we were together.  Separate entities but totally in oneness. 

Thanks Jenn! What a beautiful idea!!!!  It brought a smile with tears but with that mix of lightness and darkness!  Oh and those all night talks became part of our tapestry.  there was beauty to that and deep intimacy...a spiritual connection too.  Our space our time in the universe when everyone else was sleeping. :)

• Moderators

This is a great thread and I hope more will post here how they met and came to be together.  It was a great idea, and it brings all of us smiles remembering and sharing our love stories.

• Members

Sunflower2, those late night talks were the best. I remember being on the phone til 3-4am and needing to go to work the next day but it was worth it. He was the only person I would love to talk to on the phone, most people I ignore calls and am more of a texter ;)

KayC, I try to think of more happy memories now a days. I still get sad and once it’s closer to his one year anniversary will propbably be filled with darkness... but right now... I like the happy memories . It keeps me going and hopefully will keep others going as well. 

• Members

Match.com. My husband died a year before. I was a single mother with 3 teenagers and really missing the male perspective in parenting. Tom's profile claimed he had 17 boats. That piqued my curiosity since I had a sailboat with motor problems that needed attention. I responded to him and we exchanged mail for about a week then decided to meet and he would check out my sailboat. I didn't put a picture up so it was a real blind date for him. My sister and I worked it out that she would call me so I could use that as an excuse if things weren't going so well. He asked me 5 minutes into meeting if I would like to get dinner after we looked at my boat. I said I wasn't sure. We clicked from the very beginning. When my sister called I made it sound like everything was ok and I would be free to have dinner. The next day when I was on the phone telling her about our time together the doorbell rang. It was a flower delivery of yellow tulips...I told him my favorite color is yellow... and a card saying he had a really good time with me. And we were off!!! Haha... I later learned that would be the last romantic act Tom would do for awhile. Such a wonderfully happy memory. 

• Members
11 minutes ago, adventure said:

Match.com. My husband died a year before. I was a single mother with 3 teenagers and really missing the male perspective in parenting. Tom's profile claimed he had 17 boats. That piqued my curiosity since I had a sailboat with motor problems that needed attention. I responded to him and we exchanged mail for about a week then decided to meet and he would check out my sailboat. I didn't put a picture up so it was a real blind date for him. My sister and I worked it out that she would call me so I could use that as an excuse if things weren't going so well. He asked me 5 minutes into meeting if I would like to get dinner after we looked at my boat. I said I wasn't sure. We clicked from the very beginning. When my sister called I made it sound like everything was ok and I would be free to have dinner. The next day when I was on the phone telling her about our time together the doorbell rang. It was a flower delivery of yellow tulips...I told him my favorite color is yellow... and a card saying he had a really good time with me. And we were off!!! Haha... I later learned that would be the last romantic act Tom would do for awhile. Such a wonderfully happy memory. 

Loved reading your story, thank you for sharing. 

• Members

WAY back in 1978 I decided that I needed a vacation - I was a corporate banker and needed to get away from everything. But I had no one with whom to travel. I was (still the case) not one to want to sit in a restaurant or go to a resort alone, so I decided to go on a cruise. I figured, they will put me at a table for dinner with others so I will meet some people right away and not be completely alone. By the way, this was NOT a singles cruise. Fast forward to that first night at dinner. The cruise staff, in its wisdom, put 6 women at a table together. REALLY? However, at the next table, were four guys and an older lady and her daughter. Well...the two tables decided to shift things around. Needless to say, one of those guys was Tom. He and I became inseparable and that continued for forty years. I knew he was the right one for me immediately, but, if I had any doubts, he and I danced through a hurricane and he took care of me one night on the ship when I had a 24-hour flu thing. He stayed up all night to be sure I was ok.

When we got back to shore at the end of the trip, we agreed to see one another soon. As soon as I got back to my apartment (he lived in New Jersey, I was in Manhattan), I called him and asked him out. Just wanted to be sure. Our first land-date was at Six Flags in New Jersey. I tried to impress him by riding Lightening Loops, but, instead, nearly broke his hand and swore off roller coasters forever. 

We spent the next 12 years deciding about marriage, but always together. We got married officially in 1990. So even though we were, technically, married for just shy of 28 years (he died a week before our wedding anniversary), as far as we were concerned, we were "married" for just short of forty. We had so much more to do. But, this is supposed to be a "happy memory thread", so I will dwell on the joy of our meeting and the forty years than ensued rather than the grief and loss I am feeling now. Happy HAPPY memories.

Thank you, Holland America, for that table setup. 

Archived