Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I had to put my dog to sleep 4 days ago and i am heartbroken

gainzoid

• Members

It is too painful to share the details right now but last Friday I had to put my dog to sleep.  His name was Patches and I adored him.  This isn't the first time I have had to do this.  It is the worst thing in the world......heart-wrenching.  He loved my husband and three children but I was his person and he was my soulmate.  It is hard imagining surviving this loss but I know I will.  My vet said something that helped a little bit.  "Patches did his job and did it so well.  God will find his spirit a new job".  I am not religious at all but somehow these words helped a tiny bit. I hope they can help someone else on this forum.  I am so sad and we are all very worried about my other dog that has lived his almost 10 years with patches, everyday.  He is eating and seems to be sleeping but he is not himself.  

• Moderators

I understand, my dog is my soulmate dog also.  I am so sorry you lost yours.  I believe with all my heart that they continue to live on past their body's giving out.

Please give your other dog an ear rub from me.  I know they do grieve, they feel loss and when they do, they need extra love and attention.  Maybe you can grieve together.

My heart goes out to you.

And maybe it doesn't happen exactly like this, but I like to think it's something like it...

• Members

I'm so sorry for your loss, @gainzoid.  

I had to have my little soulmate put down last month and it's been excruciating.  My other dog has had a difficult time as well.  He's more anxious and less playful. 

I hope that you can find some peace at this time. You are not alone. 

• Members

It has been almost a month since we put our dog down. Most days are better but tonight it hurts all over again. People keep telling me it will get better and I know it will but they are our babies and it just hurts so much and we miss them so much too. I am so sorry for your loss, I know your pain xo

Archived