Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dogs got attacked by a pitbull

Stewey4141

• Members

Tuesday was taking my 2 small dogs outside around sunset (they were both on leashes) I saw from the corner of my eyes a large pitbull was running torwards me going for them. The pitbull has no collar and no leash on his owner came running up after his dog grabbed both my dogs in his mouth. Nothing could get him off ... I tried so hard even the owner did not try to help after a while he like gave up... my one dog who was 9 passed ...rushed him to the vet immediately getting that dog off. My other one survived it was a miracle. The coward who thought he could walk a dog aggressive dog without any leash harness etc ran off ran away because he knew he was on the wrong . I’m still broken tramatized from the whole thing. My dog didn’t deserve to die that way he was such a sweet loyal boy. I don’t know how to get over this... any tips to get over this . I just feel so guilty I couldn’t do more. I hope my dogs last memories aren’t getting attacked :( I just want him to know I tried my best. His name was stewey. And I had him since he was just 8 weeks. Has anyone ever been through something like this before and have any advice on how to let go ?

4E0B7D5F-F065-4969-A174-37752B82DFAF.png

• Members
10 minutes ago, Stewey4141 said:

Tuesday was taking my 2 small dogs outside around sunset (they were both on leashes) I saw from the corner of my eyes a large pitbull was running torwards me going for them. The pitbull has no collar and no leash on his owner came running up after his dog grabbed both my dogs in his mouth. Nothing could get him off ... I tried so hard even the owner did not try to help after a while he like gave up... my one dog who was 9 passed ...rushed him to the vet immediately getting that dog off. My other one survived it was a miracle. The coward who thought he could walk a dog aggressive dog without any leash harness etc ran off ran away because he knew he was on the wrong . I’m still broken tramatized from the whole thing. My dog didn’t deserve to die that way he was such a sweet loyal boy. I don’t know how to get over this... any tips to get over this . I just feel so guilty I couldn’t do more. I hope my dogs last memories aren’t getting attacked :( I just want him to know I tried my best. His name was stewey. And I had him since he was just 8 weeks. Has anyone ever been through something like this before and have any advice on how to let go ? These are my babies.

9CCE9255-1585-4479-9F1D-E74DD72DD762.png

• Moderators

I am so sorry!  My dog and I recently were attacked by a hound that jumped his fence, he made a beeline for us with attacking on his agenda.  The owner saw it happen.  When he ran off she ran after him.  I'm elderly, it caused me to fall and it took me a few minutes to get up, but my main concern was for my dog.  I'm lucky, my dog has lots of fur that protected him, he was quite shaken though and is afraid to walk that way again.  My dog is bigger but non-aggressive, he's never bit anyone and he's been attacked ten times by other people's dogs.  I don't get why they attack him when he's minding his own business, he'd never even seen this dog before!

As to how to get over it, that's pretty hard, it takes time to process his death, and the images you have...you might want to contact a professional grief counselor, they have them for loss of pet.  There's also grief support groups for loss of pet, more likely if you're in a big city.

http://www.griefhealing.com/pet-loss-counseling.htm

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/p/pet-loss-articles.html

I believe we will be with them again, that the body dies but the spirit lives on. 

• Members

So horrible I do not understand people with big aggressive dogs who take such chances with other people's lives. I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure it was very chaotic and sudden and your sweet little guy didn't suffer much at all. There is no easy answer. You don't get over it, you learn to survive with it having happened. But the early days, like now, you are in shock and a lot of pain. It will take time to move from shock and all the emotions you are going through to something that looks like peace.

• Members

I'm so sorry to hear about your traumatic event!  

When I was a little girl, a long long time ago, my sweet cat was mauled to death by dogs.  It was devastating. It still makes me sad, decades later, but the initial terror is gone.  I still miss Simon. 

I hope you are able to find peace.  I think you've come to a good place for support.  That's a great step.

Archived