Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Devastated

Joe doherty

• Members
Joe doherty

I never knew that so many people including myself would be so devastated at the loss of their pets one person was commenting how they had put their pet down when it it had lumps but they thought they could make it survive longer and that they were devastated I was fortunate I put my Rottweiler down yesterday he had had arthritis probably for about 5 years and he had a kidney problem for about a year-and-a-half now I was ever able to use belly bands and keep him around longer I also used something called fluid action which they give to dogs cats and horses it really kept his arthritis down and probably saved him several Winters and several Summers I gave him all kinds of vitamins in the rice food I probably could have walked in more I've neglected in that he lived to be 15 that's about five years past normal lifespan in the end I moved to a different house and I had to put my dog in the basement I never complain and you didn't mind I visited him as much as I could but it was a far cry from what he had but it was either that or let my daughter and Grandson go that's another story so in the last 2 months of his life it was a little sad I think now looking back and yes I have tons of grief over it and regret should have went down there more and visited  more about a week ago except started failing more and he started drinking more well long story short there he fell down night before last and it seems like in my mind that the right thing to do now with support him down before he couldn't get up at all anymore I knew his time was coming I don't it for a long time I kept putting it off and off and he seemed okay but then he did not I took him to the vet made an appointment but my other regret is that I didn't do all the last moment things with him certain things that I would say to him before I didn't do them I comforted him I was there till the end but I could have done more I could have taken him for a ride I could have gotten him a hamburger I could have said certain things to him well we got to the vet my daughter and I and him they administer the shot you went to sleep it wasn't the Fatal shot but he went to sleep his eyes went white in his head I knew that I had seen my dog for the last time he was gone but not completely yet I sat there with him and pet him Tears filling my eyes and sadness and the hold thing about grief was starting to come to me perhaps 15 minutes later they came in and they administer the final two shots he was already gone but now he was gone for good damaged I can't get out of my mind now is the stair back at me with his eyes but him being gone so yes now I feel devastated and to everyone else that's wrote on here or comments on here or we'll come to hear and sites like it it's pure devastation I wish that for everyone that has to feel this and go through it and everyone that has a pet that will someday go through a night I wish them a easier transition there's no easy transition but I wish for an easy one this is the first day without him and I don't even know how to process everything that's coming through and I feel so lost I still feel so empty I miss him so much he was my Joey Boy Rottweiler boy ask out a boy little buddy little Buzzy couple other nicknames that just popped in my head that I used to call him I was thinking about that today boy that is really hard and all the special times come up that on a normal day I'm just out doing my thing he's at home I'm not really thinking about him feels like I'm taking it for granted but I'm not taking it for granted now hes gone so I guess I'm pretty much speaking for everyone that's lost a pet or that might be losing a pet it's devastation but if you think you can prolong it you can spend more time but it doesn't make the hurt any less I kind of wish I would have waited to tell today and I wish I would have taken him for a ride I wish this I wish that but I still would have had to face it today I still be going to the pain today and I have to face it again tomorrow and wishing I still had today and I'd still be back in the same boat putting it off but I sure enjoyed my time with him while it lasted

20180118_140821-2.jpg

• Members

He looks such a lovely dog.  You are in my thoughts and I hope the pain soon starts to ease a little for you.

• Members

I understand your shock at the intensity of the Pain we feel when they reach the end of their shorter when compared to our human lives. I think we all look back and consider how it could have been possibly made easier for us to deal with this. I keep thinking how the much shorter life spans of pets are never even mentioned when we adopt one and how I much later on when my beloved cats were older refused to look at the comparison tables where cats’ age is given their equivalent in human terms. Mine were in their late 80s when they died but to me they were babies still. But then up to which extent does information eases the Pain for the loss of such Love as the one they blessed us with day after day while they were present in our lives. My heart goes out to you. Your Joey Boy knows you did your best by him - you stood by him and when the quality of his life declined you were there loving him as always. It is the hardest parting indeed and as you said devastating. May you find some comfort in the certainty that you loved him well. You did.

• Moderators

You did right by him, letting them go is the ultimate sacrifice we can make for them when it's their time.  You didn't want him to suffer needlessly, now you're left suffering, but it's the price we pay for loving, and there's nothing greater than man's best friend.

Archived